[Post-sustainability-committee] Summer Job Opportunity: Oyster Bay Conservation Steward
Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Wed Feb 6 17:28:50 EST 2019
O’Neil Conservation Steward Intern
North Shore Land Alliance Oyster Bay, New York<https://www.conservationjobboard.com/new-york/>
DeadlineApr 19, 2019
Job TypeSeasonal / temporary
orth Shore Land Alliance is a land trust created to protect green spaces on Long Island’s north shore. Established in 2003, the Land Alliance has been instrumental in the protection of 1200 acres of land critical to preserving drinking water, clean air, wildlife habitat and the ability to grow food locally. The Land Alliance owns and/or manages nearly 350 acres of nature preserves and stewards an additional 237 acres protected by conservation easement.
The Land Alliance’s William C. and Joyce C. O’Neil Conservation Stewardship program delivers valuable conservation-related experiences to qualified college students interested in building careers in protection of our natural resources. The program is primarily environmental stewardship with community education and outreach and fundraising events mixed in.
Working with Meghan Leverock, the Associate Director of Stewardship, interns will be responsible for:
· Conservation planning
· Creating and maintaining plantings as part of habitat restoration projects
· Trail maintenance and building
· Monitoring and removal of invasive plants
· Monitoring conservation easements
· Working with volunteers and staff in preserve management projects
· Leading educational nature walks and programs
· Commitment to environmental conservation
· Comfort with being outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
· Comfort with working both independently and as part of a team
· Research, communication and writing skills.
· Ability to lift 40 lbs.
· An interest in conservation education
· Ability to get to and between job sites is a must!
· Ability to identify local flora/fauna species
· Experience with gardening/plant care
· Experience managing invasive plants
· Experience giving educational programs/presentations
· Experience with ArcGIS
Duration: 350 total hours
Hours: M – Th 9am – 5pm for 12 weeks
(June 4th – August 22nd)
Pay: $3,500 for the term
Deadline: April 19, 2019 by 5pm
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please submit in a single PDF:
· Cover letter detailing your interest in land conservation
· Two references
Please send applications and/or questions to Meghan at northshorelandalliance.org<mailto:Meghan at northshorelandalliance.org>
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Post-Sustainability-Committee