[Post-sustainability-committee] Reminder: Sustainable Post Committee will begin its Fall meetings on Wednesday October 4

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:31:58 EDT 2017

The Campus Sustainable Post Committee will begin its Fall meetings on Wednesday October 4, 2017.  12:30 pm to 1:50 pm, Pell Hall 231.

Note the new attachments!

We would like to develop a new process for the year which will allow more students, faculty, administrators, and staff to take a leadership role in campus sustainability efforts.  The main change we are making this year is to formalize the development of subcommittees that can take responsibility for a wide range of campus improvements. Right now, we envision the following committees for the fall semester:

     *   Undergraduate Degree Program (Leaders: Pires & Boyer)
     *   April Dinner/Fundraiser (Leaders: Boyer & Brown)
     *   Grants (Leaders: Boyer & Carlin)
     *   Student Engagement (Leaders: Brown and Ferrara)
     *   Climate Action (Leaders: Carlin & Lutz)
     *   Student “Farm” (Leaders: DiVenere & Ferrara)
We can easily accommodate six or more people on each committee. If there is another committee not listed above, let me know.

  *   Prof. DiVenere has been working with students this summer to help construct our first student “farm.”  A very exciting new initiative.

  *   The Center for Sustainability will begin its second year with a focus on expanding student opportunities for interdisciplinary research through new classes and a new undergraduate major.  We welcome everyone’s involvement across the campus.  So please share this notice with others.

Our 2nd Sustainability Committee Meeting for the semester will be on Wednesday November 1, Common Hour, Pell Hall Room 231.

TRAVEL COURSE – WINTER SESSION: TANZANIA
See Attached Flyer. Contact Dr. Pires for more information (Earth & Environmental Science)

NYC Recycling Plant Tour – 3 pm September 28 2017, Brooklyn
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/greenhomenyc-september-tour-sims-municipal-recycling-center-tickets-37510902118

September 29 – Visit to Eastern Long Island farms. Contact Prof. Jennifer Brown (Sociology) for more information.

Oct 4 –  Urban Green’s annual conference -- It’s Electrifying: Exploring NYC’s Climate Plan to Electrify Buildings - http://urbangreencouncil.org/2017conference.  We’d like to offer LIU Post one free ticket and $10 discounted tickets for students. To claim the discount, students can register with the discount code ELECTRIFYSTUDENT. To claim the guest ticket, please email programs at urbangreencouncil.org<mailto:programs at urbangreencouncil.org>.

October 11 – DEC Climate Action Webinar https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/1b7c61a

October 12 – Student groups Coalition for Conservation and Be the Change will host Turning Stress and Anxiety into Happiness with International Speaker, Ram Singal.  12:30 pm Patrons Lounge. Tilles.

October 20 – Sustainable Energy Conference, SUNY Farmingdale
                        Prof. Scott Carlin will present in the afternoon.

October 24 – Campus Crunch! Sponsored by Aramark:  Free Apples!
October 24 – Tentative Date for Student Farm Ribbon Cutting Event!

Thursday,  Oct. 26, 12:30, HUM 109,
Dimitra Kessenides, Bloomberg News, Co-sponsored by Political Science Department and Journalism program.  Dimitra has covered a number of sustainability topics with Bloomberg.