[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] FW: Rockland Campus

Jeongeun Rhee Jeong-eun.Rhee at liu.edu
Mon Sep 5 09:54:39 EDT 2016

Another related issue..

Jeong-eun Rhee, Ph.D
Professor
College of Education, Information, & Technology
LIU Post
320 Library
720 Northern Blvd
Brookville, NY 11548-1300
(O)516-299-2193
(F)516-299-3312

Editor of Educational Studies
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heds20/current#.VE_DT-d9nLw

From: Michele Dornisch <Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu<mailto:Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu>>
Date: Friday, September 2, 2016 at 1:53 PM
To: LIU Post Faculty Council <post-FC at liu.edu<mailto:post-FC at liu.edu>>
Subject: Rockland Campus

Dear Colleagues,

Yesterday, I heard a rumor that the Rockland campus lease had lapsed and that folks at Rockland didn't actually know what was going on.  I emailed Jeff in response, and what I from him was that the administration has decided to close the Rockland location due to high rental costs, a poor facility, low enrollments, and that 25 of the 31 programs offered were also being offered across the Hudson at SUNY Purchase.  They did move the other 6 programs to SUNY Purchase.  They have rented space at Rockland Community College to support students who might have some hardship in traveling over the Tappen Zee Bridge.  All students will have options to complete their degrees.

He told me to let him know if I needed any more information.

I asked:

Who will be providing the programs, SUNY or LIU - he said LIU.

Will faculty positions be affected - he said one or two this year (I would imagine more as time goes by, but he did not say as much).  I assume the majority of the programs were staffed almost entirely by part-time faculty.

I also suggested that it would be much better if big decisions were communicated to the faculty prior to rumors getting started so as to be helpful to the campus culture/morale/community.  He indicated that there is so much happening that he cannot commit to continuous notice.

I wanted to update you on this, as I'm sure the majority of you did not know that the Rockland Campus is closing (I certainly did not).

Once again, I ask that the communication representatives email their constituencies to let them know about this.

Michele M. Dornisch, Ph.D.
Professor
LIU Post, CEIT

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. ~George Bernard Shaw