[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] Resignation from APR Task Force

Michele Dornisch Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu
Sat Nov 21 12:22:45 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

At the CEIT meeting on November 19th, Nancy Frye (Faculty Council Chairperson) and Kathy Gill (Associate VP for Institutional Effectiveness and Assessment) indicated that the APR Task Force included faculty representatives from the University Faculty Senate, the Brooklyn Faculty Senate, and the Post Faculty Council.

Until yesterday, I was one representative of the Faculty Council mainly because I am from an accredited program.  The task force always had the concerns of accredited programs in mind, particularly with respect for the need to avoid the duplication of efforts. The message I forwarded from the VPAA last night indicates such, and the same message has been given by the VPAA at Faculty Council and Full Faculty meetings. I understand that Kathy Gill reiterated the same at the meeting on November 19th.

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the CEIT meeting.  But I heard from Nancy, Kathy, and other colleagues about how it went.  Based on these reactions I have realized that although I thought I understood the concerns of CEIT and programs which are accredited, I clearly to not have my finger on the pulse of the CEIT.

Therefore, I have resigned from the APR task force, effective November 20th, 2015.  Minna Kapp has retired.  This leaves:

1.       Nancy Frye as the only Faculty Council Representative

2.       No faculty representatives from Post who are in programs which go through accreditation

3.       All representatives currently on the task force as members of the College of Liberal Arts and Science, where the majority of faculty are unlikely to completely understand accreditation processes

>From the reaction of CEIT many people have thoughts about APR.  Clearly, the Faculty Council needs alternative representative on this committee.  I recommend that concerned faculty email Nancy Frye to indicate interest in taking on my vacated spot (or Minna's)  - this way the voice of an accredited program will be represented (or not, if no one volunteers).

I am more than happy to send anyone a link to the 25+ models we reviewed in this process.

In solidarity,

Michele M. Dornisch, Ph.D.
Phone: 516-299-3676
Professor, LIU Post, College of Education, Information, and Technology
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien. [The perfect is the enemy of the good.]- Voltaire
Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low.