[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] Proposed New Schedules for Daytime (Undergraduate) Courses

Michele Dornisch Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu
Sat Mar 21 16:28:04 EDT 2015

Please find attached two schedules currently being discussed at Faculty Council.  These schedules affect only daytime courses, so if your program offers no undergraduate programs, you can delete this email.

The "original proposed" file presents the administrative proposal for the schedule.  This schedule has a complex grid system that includes courses on the following days:  M/W; W/F; T/TH; M/TH; T/F.  The classes would remain 80 minutes meeting twice a week.

The "scheduling proposals" document presents the alternative schedule proposed by four faculty members in the CLAS who were privileged to see this "proposed grid" earlier than others on campus. In this model, the schedule would remain the same, eliminating the common hour time period, and requiring stand-alone Friday classes (every department would be required to offer a percentage of classes on Fridays).

Two other possibilities include having a M/W/F and T/TH schedule OR having a schedule that shifts M/W into multiple options M/W; M/F; W/F while keeping the T/TH schedule intact.

I imagine that we all have reactions to the above. Please respond if you have comments that address:

1.       Which of the above you are most likely to prefer with a rationale (as opposed to which you don't like).

2.       Whether any of the above that would cause real problems for the students in your department - or for which you anticipate a specific solution being needed - with some specifics about the problem and/or potential solutions to the problem.

3.       Alternative solutions should you have any ideas.
I am happy to collate your responses and provide you a summary - and forward that summary to the Faculty Council as well.  I would ask that you respond to me directly (or to another CEIT faculty representative who can provide a summary of your comments to me).

Please keep in mind that the purpose of this move is twofold (at least): (a) to ensure more use of scheduled times outside of the 9:30, 11, and 2 block - during which apparently 80% of undergraduate courses are offered, and (b) to make use of Fridays for the purposes of fewer classroom conflicts.  As you think of your possible solutions, please do so with those two issues in mind.

Thanks,

Michele