[Post-sustainability-committee] Volunteer for Commencement's Graduation Pledge Program

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Mon Apr 22 21:32:38 EDT 2019

The morning of May 10, I need two or three volunteers so that LIU can continue its Graduation Pledge tradition at graduation.  Students hand out Graduation Pledges to graduating seniors during the morning robing process, 7:30 am to 8:30 am in the Pratt Recreation Center.

To participate or to learn more, email Prof. Scott Carlin, Scott.Carlin at liu.edu<mailto:Scott.Carlin at liu.edu>.
Faculty: Please share this with your students!

The Green and Gold Graduation Pledge:

LIU Post graduates have been making graduation commitments to civic responsibility for over a decade!  At commencement each May, students volunteer to take the “Green and Gold Pledge” and vow to improve social and environmental issues affecting their homes, jobs and communities. By making this promise, Long Island University’s newest graduates join students from other regional higher learning institutions; including Columbia University, Hunter College, Fordham University and Manhattan College, as well as more than 130 universities nationwide through the Graduation Pledge Alliance - http://www.graduationpledge.org<http://www.graduationpledge.org/>.

On commencement day, students wear green and gold ribbons that signify their dedication.  The Pledge reads: “As a graduate of Long Island University, I pledge to be attentive to the social and environmental consequences of my actions and to improve these aspects in my home, work and community.”