[Post-sustainability-committee] Celebrate Earth Day Event at Brooklyn LIU - Campus Community Urban Sustainability Program (CUSP)

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:25:29 EDT 2019

FROM BROOKLYN LIU

Dear Colleagues,

As many of you know, several Brooklyn faculty and I have an NEH Humanities Connections Grant for the Campus Community Urban Sustainability Program (CUSP). We are holding a series of Earth Day events on Tuesday, April 23 and invite you to join us and to help spread the word. We are very excited about the program, including our keynote speaker, Eric Sanderson, author of Manahatta: A Natural History of New York, and a terrific panel on climate change, featuring 13-year-old Alexandria Villasenor, who has been leading a climate strike at the UN on a weekly basis and has, like her inspiration, Greta Thunberg, become internationally known.

As we did last year, we are holding an empty bowls celebration with pottery by LIU ceramicists--a bowl and a meal for sale for $10. Proceeds go to NYCGrow's Healthy Exchange Project. In the afternoon, from 1-3, we will screen This Changes Everything, the film based on Naomi Klein's book by the same name. Again, please help us spread the word, consider bringing your classes or giving students extra credit, and join us for any part or all of the day.

See the attached Dropbox flyer for details.​ https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd35d628jtqxc4y/BrooklynLIU_EarthDayposter_2019.jpg?dl=0

Deborah Mutnick
Professor of English
deborah.mutnick at liu.edu