[Post-sustainability-committee] Fall 2016 Sustainability Committee - Welcome Notice

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Tue Sep 13 22:37:04 EDT 2016

Welcome back for the Fall 2016 Semester!

I am pleased to announce that LIU has endorsed the creation of a LIU Post Center for Sustainability.
I will serve as Director and Prof. Carol Boyer will serve as Associate Director.  The work of the Center will focus on developing campus-wide interdisciplinary learning, service, and research experiences for students and faculty.  The Center will also house many of the programs our Committee has developed and supported over the past few years.  Therefore, our most important task this semester is to explore strategies for expanding our outreach across the campus.

We know that 2015 was the hottest year ever recorded in modern history.  And we know that this summer scorched many temperature records.  The need to build a sustainable campus is more urgent than ever.  Please do what you can to join us at our upcoming meetings.  In addition to these planning meetings, we want to develop a schedule for upcoming events.

September & October Planning Meetings
Fall 2016, Common Hour – 12:30 pm to 1:50 pm
1.     Wed. September 28 2016 – Room 109, Hillwood Commons
2.     Thur. October 13, 2016 – Hunt Room, Winnick House
3.     Mon October 31, 2016 – Room 109, Hillwood Commons

Upcoming Events
Love They Nature: Thursday, November 10th at 7 PM – Tilles Center
Filmmaker Sylvie Rokab will join us for this event.  http://www.lovethynature.com/  This film has an amazing “National Geographic” feel to it.  It’s very beautiful; narrated by Liam Neeson.

More events to follow.  (And feel free to propose an upcoming event.)

Thanks!
Prof. Scott Carlin

Scott Carlin, Ph.D.
Director, LIU Post Center for Sustainability
Co-Chair, UN DPI/NGO 66th Annual Conference
Department of Earth & Environmental Science
LIU Post
Brookville, NY 11548
516-299-3404 (work)