[Post-sustainability-committee] What is the Graduation Pledge?

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Mon May 2 09:52:40 EDT 2016

The Green and Gold Graduation Pledge:

LIU Post graduates have been making commitments to civic responsibility for several years. At commencement each May, students can volunteer to take the “Green and Gold Pledge” in which they vow to improve the social and environmental issues in their homes, jobs and communities. By making this promise, Long Island University’s newest graduates join students from other regional higher learning institutions; including Columbia University, Hunter College, Fordham University and Manhattan College, as well as more than 130 universities nationwide through the Graduation Pledge Alliance - http://www.graduationpledge.org.

On commencement day, students wear green and gold ribbons that signify their dedication.  The Pledge reads: “As a graduate of Long Island University, I pledge to be attentive to the social and environmental consequences of my actions and to improve these aspects in my home, work and community.”

Scott Carlin, Ph.D.
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Science
LIU Post
Brookville, NY 11548