[Post-sustainability-committee] Reminder Sustainable Post Committee Meets at 12:45 Hillwood 106 today

Scott Carlin Scott.Carlin at liu.edu
Wed Nov 4 09:12:49 EST 2015

Sustainable Post Committee Meeting
Wednesday November 4
HILLWOOD 106
Common Hour = 12: 45 pm to 1:45 pm

Agenda

·      Member Updates

·      Plans for Nov 5 End Zone Event – Tomorrow, Common Hour

·      Plans for our other upcoming Events  (Nov 17 – see attached flyer! ; Dec 1 events!)

·      Freshman Class Projects

·      Building our Membership.

·      Student Club Discussion

·      Social Media & Sustainable Post: Blogs, Facebook, and Twitter

·      Spring 2016 Agenda!

1.)  SUSTAINABILITY = FOOD
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH 2015  12:30
Great Hall
Chefs Matthew Thompson & Bhavani Jaroff
will be speaking about the importance of
sustainable food

2.)  Food Chains
TUESDAY, December 1st  12:30
Hillwood Cinema
FOOD CHAINS, a new documentary, exposes the human cost in our food supply and the
complicity of large buyers of produce like fast-food chains and supermarkets.
It follows an intrepid group of Florida tomato pickers in their battle for a more humane
and transparent food chain. Their story is one of hope and triumph of morality over
corporate greed.

Sustainable Post Minutes for October 13 2015

Scott Carlin, Michael Mangino, Alfred Lindberg, Mike Sweeney, Bill Kirker, Scott Cairns, Justin Rankin, Sarah Pomerenke, Laura Harwell, Marina Lopez, Kay Sato, Bessie Weisman.

Upcoming Events.

Apple Tasting - led by Sarah Pomerenke.  Oct 22.  She will have tables in Hillwood and Winnick.  (October 24 is National Food Day!)

Wednesday November 4                              HILLWOOD 106

Common Hour. Nov 5.  End Zone.  "What is Sustainability" Event for the campus.
We still need to define this event!

Nov 17 (Tuesday).  Humanities Theater or Great Hall (Sarah is finalizing).  Sustainable Food event.  Speakers will include a regional expert from Aramark and a Regional Slow Food Expert -  Bhavani Jaroff.

Dec 1 - Food Chains Film (Tuesday)

Nov/Dec - Yoga event?  Need update from Melissa.  Scott Cairns will reach out to Melissa. Perhaps he can assist with this project.

Recycling - slow reboot of the campus recycling program.
Laura and Tiffany worked recycling last year and will return this year and help Justin, who is already working for recycling team under Michael Berthel in Campus Life.

Pay-scale for recycling (all all) work study positions has been rolled back to $8.75. for all workers.  Clear supervisory work might be a rationale for higher pay.

Bessie and Marina would like to also support campus sustainability -  but we are looking for funding; we had funding for these positions last year but that funding isn't in place this year.  Sarah and Bessie will meet Thursday with the Dean of Student Life to discuss.

* Green Office Newsletter started last year is funding dependent.
* Website Update

Student Service Learning - Freshman Class
Students are working on expanding recycling bins for the campus.

Last year we did a successful rain garden project; work is needed on  that garden this fall