POST-EDUCATION TEDxLIU videos & photos ready online

Anastasia Karathanasis Anastasia.Karathanasis at liu.edu
Tue May 20 15:55:38 EDT 2014

Sent on behalf of Dr. Dengting Boyanton

Dear CEIT friends,

I am happy to share with you that our First EVER TEDxLIU Conference was a huge success and the TEDx photos and videos are now available online. Please click the link below to view the videos, pictures, and also the news report. Once again, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the TEDx team and the LIU community for their hard work and support to make this event successful!

TEDxLIU videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsRNoUx8w3rNwNbOqSmJQ6y97He84UFFt
TEDxLIU Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.608106802610844.1073741834.510432865711572&type=1

First TEDxLIU Conference-A HUGE Success

[cid:image001.png at 01CF7441.8590CF70]The First TEDxLIU Conference held at LIU Post in Brookville, N.Y., on April 24, 2014, was a HUGE success! The TEDxLIU team has received overwhelmingly positive feedback from the LIU faculty, staff, students, local residents, speakers, and sponsors who have described it as "inspiring", "meaningful", "exciting", "beautiful", and "impressive", to name a few. The whole event went seamlessly and "without a hitch" as described by Dr. Robert Hannafin, Dean of LIU Post's College of Education, Information and Technology (CEIT), and also one of the major sponsors of this event.

A total of seven distinguished speakers participated in the conference, including Richard Keeling, principal and senior executive consultant of Keeling & Associates; David Kline, senior vice president for technology and chief information officer at Viacom; Arel Moodie, top generation Y entrepreneur; Joana Vicente, executive director of Independent Filmmaker Project and executive director of the Made in NY Media Center by IFP; William Brennan, co-founder of Schoolleadership20.com; Rakesh Bhargava, manager of general partner MangoTree Real Estate Holdings L.P.; and Patrick Graziosi, an undergraduate student, majoring in film from the School of Visual and Performing Arts at LIU Post and the TEDxLIU Student Speaker Contest winner.

Each speaker was phenomenal and did a fantastic job presenting. It was evident that all the distinguished speakers dedicated significant thought and energy into their presentations. Dr. Richard Keeling spoke emphatically about the vital role of higher education in serving as a 'warehouse of ideas' that prepares minds for discovery and innovation. "I was deeply touched by Dr. Keeling's professionalism," shared Dengting Boyanton, co-director of TEDxLIU. Arel Moodie felt quite emotional after presenting, "I grew up in the projects. Meeting all of the people I met today, speaking on that stage, having this amazing experience, was just an honor. Truly." Speaker Joana Vicente expressed how much she enjoyed the whole experience, "TEDxLIU was a great experience for me. It was a wonderful event-all the staff was incredibly warm and professional." LIU speaker Patrick Graziosi impressed the audience with an innovative and engaging presentation. "The LIU Film student Patrick Graziosi hit a home run! I bet we'll see big things from him in the future," said one participant who wishes to remain anonymous. "Patrick is so good! I am really proud of him!" said Rebecca Saltzman, TEDxLIU Club Coordinator. In addition, Matthew Coleman, a Master's student of Adolescence Education, did an amazing job as the Master of Ceremonies (MC). "I can't believe that he is a student. He was so professional and was quite impressive!" said Stephen Boyanton, a Ph.D. student from Columbia University.

All of the attendees felt inspired by this event. Even Mr. James Veall and Mr. David Kline from Viacom also felt the "excitement and enthusiasm" of it. While the TEDxLIU team worried that all the attendees would be eager to go home afterwards and few would attend the after-party, the reality was that most attendees did not want to leave. Instead, they stayed for a long time, mingling and taking pictures with the speakers. "I came all the way from Manhattan and it was quite a distance. But it was all worth it because I enjoyed every minute of it!" said Donna McGovern, a women-empowerment activist. An anonymous participant also expressed her impression, "It's rare that I take hours off from work, but in this case it was well worth it! I was amazed at the industry-speakers you were able to get - they were fascinating and weaved great stories. I kept thinking how lucky LIU faculty and staff were to be exposed to such thought-provoking presentations." Another participant, Dr. Roberta Levitt, associate professor of Special Education and Literacy said, "I really enjoyed all the inspiring and passionate talks, respectful to all minds and cultures. I intend to listen over and over again to the TEDxLIU program!" Dr. Arnold Dodge, chair of the Department of Leadership and Administration at LIU Post, expressed his amazement: "I was particularly impressed by how steady the whole program was. I expected there would be some ups and downs as it is often the case with many events. But it wasn't like that at all. Each speaker was fantastic from the beginning to the end!" Jeff Bennett, founder and manager of Science and Technology Discussions of Long Island, said, "Not only did I enjoy all the presentations, I also enjoyed just coming to the LIU campus. I live very close but haven't visited it in years." A group of students and their teachers from LIU's SCALE program at Syosset High School, hosted by Dr. Maura Belliveau, associate professor of Management at LIU Post, also attended the event. They completed journals regarding their day and engaged in subsequent discussions in their classes at Syosset High related to the talks.

In addition to all the inspiring talks, the amazing 3D TEDxLIU letters designed by Mr. Richard Malone, technical director, Post Little Theatre, were appreciated. "The 3D letters were superb!" said Arel Moodie.  There is no doubt that behind all the success and cheers, there were countless hours of hard work by the TEDx team. "Each TEDx team member worked extremely hard!" said Dr. Dengting Boyanton, co-director of TEDxLIU. "I was overwhelmed by the amount of dedication and enthusiasm that I received from the team. Words cannot express how grateful I am feeling right now!" Dr. Vincent Scovetta, also co-director of TEDxLIU, said, "I am grateful to be part of the TEDx team and look forward to seeing future TEDx events at LIU!"

Bill Brennan, co-founder of schoolleadership2.0, was also quite impressed by the TEDxLIU team, "The TEDxLIU team was amazing!" Speaker Rakesh Bhargava was particularly amazed by the organization of this event, "The extremely well-orchestrated planning of this event has left me amazed. It felt like you were running this event for the 100th time and not for the 1st time." Dr. Jeff Kane, vice present of Academic Affairs immediately sent his congratulations after the event: "Wow!  What an achievement!  Kudos to all and especially to Dengting and Vince." Dr. Kimberly Cline, president of LIU, also congratulated the TEDxLIU team and was sure that their "vision and professional execution has moved the University forward in the minds of many."

The First TEDxLIU Conference was sponsored by the LIU Post Alumni Association, ISI Integrated Supply LogoJoe, Apple Inc., and Modern Photobooth.

For more information: www.liu.edu/tedx<http://www.liu.edu/tedx>
Questions or comments: tedx at liu.edu<mailto:tedx at liu.edu>

[cid:image002.png at 01CF7441.8590CF70]
Dengting Boyanton, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Educational Psychology
Director, Childhood Education Program
Co-Director, TEDxLIU Conference
Founder, CESTL Conference
Curriculum & Instruction Department
College of Education, Information & Technology
Long Island University, Post
516-299-4117 (Office), LIB 33
516-299-3313 (Fax)
http://www.dengtingboyanton.com