[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] Fwd: Admissions Committee Meeting with Bill Martinov

Jeongeun Rhee Jeong-eun.Rhee at liu.edu
Tue Mar 21 09:49:17 EDT 2017

FYI

Jeong-eun Rhee, Ph.D
Professor
College of Education, Information, & Technology
LIU Post
320 Library
720 Northern Blvd
Brookville, NY 11548-1300
(O)516-299-2193
(F)516-299-3312

Editor of Educational Studies
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heds20/current#.VE_DT-d9nLw

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Lutz <John.Lutz at liu.edu<mailto:John.Lutz at liu.edu>>
Subject: Admissions Committee Meeting with Bill Martinov
Date: March 21, 2017 at 9:42:26 AM EDT
To: Abby Dress <Abby.Dress at liu.edu<mailto:Abby.Dress at liu.edu>>, Albert DeVivo <Albert.DeVivo at liu.edu<mailto:Albert.DeVivo at liu.edu>>, Alexander Henderson <Alexander.Henderson at liu.edu<mailto:Alexander.Henderson at liu.edu>>, Anke Grosskopf <Anke.Grosskopf at liu.edu<mailto:Anke.Grosskopf at liu.edu>>, Brian Sweeney <Brian.Sweeney at liu.edu<mailto:Brian.Sweeney at liu.edu>>, Carol Boyer <Carol.Boyer at liu.edu<mailto:Carol.Boyer at liu.edu>>, Cheng Zhang <Cheng.Zhang at liu.edu<mailto:Cheng.Zhang at liu.edu>>, David Jank <David.Jank at liu.edu<mailto:David.Jank at liu.edu>>, Edward Raven <Edward.Raven at liu.edu<mailto:Edward.Raven at liu.edu>>, Haeryun Choi <Haeryun.Choi at liu.edu<mailto:Haeryun.Choi at liu.edu>>, Heather Parrott <Heather.Parrott at liu.edu<mailto:Heather.Parrott at liu.edu>>, Jennifer Snekser <Jennifer.Snekser at liu.edu<mailto:Jennifer.Snekser at liu.edu>>, Jeongeun Rhee <Jeong-eun.Rhee at liu.edu<mailto:Jeong-eun.Rhee at liu.edu>>, John Lutz <John.Lutz at liu.edu<mailto:John.Lutz at liu.edu>>, Kathleen Feeley <Kathleen.Feeley at liu.edu<mailto:Kathleen.Feeley at liu.edu>>, Lynn Cohen <Lynn.Cohen at liu.edu<mailto:Lynn.Cohen at liu.edu>>, Maria Zarycky <Maria.Zarycky at liu.edu<mailto:Maria.Zarycky at liu.edu>>, Mark Pires <Mark.Pires at liu.edu<mailto:Mark.Pires at liu.edu>>, Nancy Frye <Nancy.Frye at liu.edu<mailto:Nancy.Frye at liu.edu>>, Patrick Aievoli <Patrick.Aievoli at liu.edu<mailto:Patrick.Aievoli at liu.edu>>, Selenay Aytac <Selenay.Aytac at liu.edu<mailto:Selenay.Aytac at liu.edu>>, Seung Yeon Lee <SeungYeon.Lee at liu.edu<mailto:SeungYeon.Lee at liu.edu>>, Sheila Gunther <Sheila.Gunther at liu.edu<mailto:Sheila.Gunther at liu.edu>>, Stephanie White <Stephanie.White at liu.edu<mailto:Stephanie.White at liu.edu>>, Suzanne Thomas <Suzanne.Thomas at liu.edu<mailto:Suzanne.Thomas at liu.edu>>, Terry Odaly <Terry.Odaly at liu.edu<mailto:Terry.Odaly at liu.edu>>, Vincent Scovetta <Vincent.Scovetta at liu.edu<mailto:Vincent.Scovetta at liu.edu>>, Willie Hiatt <Willie.Hiatt at liu.edu<mailto:Willie.Hiatt at liu.edu>>

Colleagues,

The Admissions committee met yesterday with Bill Martinov to discuss how we might better communicate and collaborate. We also followed up with some questions that were not answered at the Town Hall meeting. We discovered that the dates for spring open houses and admissions events had in fact gone out in December to the deans, but may not have been widely distributed. To improve communication in this area, Bill will also send the dates to the Admissions committee and Faculty Council  for distribution in advance of each semester. We also developed an idea called Program Profiles to assist the recruiters in becoming more knowledgeable about our  programs. Kathleen Feeley will work with IT to set up a LIUShare site where we can post information about our programs, program events, student profiles, etc. Admissions staff and recruiters will have access to this site and consult it when promoting our programs. This will provide us with one avenue sharing knowledge about what our programs have to offer. Perhaps we can come up with other ways of doing this as well. Kathleen will be in touch when the LIU Share site is available. We’ll pursue marketing our programs on the website separately, but we will pursue it.

We also asked about the discount rate. Bill indicated in no uncertain terms that students are offered scholarships based initially on their SAT scores and high school averages. As an example, Bill indicated that a student entering with a 1500 SAT score and a 100 high school average would be offered a full  scholarship (100 percent tuition) regardless of the area in which he or she enrolled. He explained that students are awarded scholarships based on these two criteria independently of the program in which they declare a major; however, some schools and colleges also have restricted scholarships that may augment this amount. The example used was athletes. Athletes apparently have an opportunity for a scholarship that pays for their housing on campus. While not part of the base tuition rate, it’s clearly a special circumstance in this area. Based on the response, it appears that students may have  overall scholarships that are higher in some areas, but not based on the initial criteria of SAT scores and high school averages but on scholarship opportunities existing within specific schools, colleges or programs.

If you’re a communications officer, please pass this along to your constituents. We’ll continue to work to get answers to our questions.

Best wishes,

John

John Lutz, Ph.D.
Chair and Associate Professor of English
Co-Chair, Outcomes Assessment Steering Committee
Director of the First-Year Experience and Learning Communities
LIU Post
720 Northern Blvd
Brookville, NY 11548
Phone: (516)299-2391
Fax: (516)299-3325

“One cannot pursue one’s own highest good without at the same time necessarily promoting the good of others. Seeking the very best in ourselves means actively caring for the welfare of other human beings. View youself as a citizen of a worldwide community and act accordingly.”-Epictetus