[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] FW: Two initiatives

Jeongeun Rhee Jeong-eun.Rhee at liu.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:38:05 EDT 2016

Hi, all
See below.
Please let either Michele Dornisch or me know if you want to participate in these.
Thanks!

Jeong-eun Rhee, Ph.D
Professor
College of Education, Information, & Technology
LIU Post
320 Library
720 Northern Blvd
Brookville, NY 11548-1300
(O)516-299-2193
(F)516-299-3312

Editor of Educational Studies
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heds20/current#.VE_DT-d9nLw

From: Michele Dornisch <Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu<mailto:Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:17 PM
To: LIU Post Faculty Council <post-FC at liu.edu<mailto:post-FC at liu.edu>>
Subject: Two initiatives

Good afternoon colleagues,

As you may be aware, the university has recently completed a facilities condition assessment at the Post campus, which has resulted in  a Comprehensive Long Range Facilities Master Plan (15-year plan), which has been drafted to address needs and strategic initiatives, particularly as it relates to deferred maintenance and capital assets.  A firm has been selected to oversee the implementation of this Master Plan, and the firm has plans to meet with faculty to solicit their input on priority areas.

I have been asked to recommend faculty members who can best articulate the needs of the LIU Post campus as the plan is carried out.

It seems to me best for the faculty council communication representatives to speak with their colleagues in their respective areas to determine (a) what areas should be represented and (b) which faculty members are or would be willing to serve this purpose.

I do not know whether this requires a committee, but I think there are likely to at least be multiple meetings regarding this initiative.

As I consider the various things I have heard from the faculty in various schools/colleges, I would suggest that there are very specific areas that would like need to be represented specifically who require "specialized" classroom and learning space... these would include (a) faculty from the CLAS, particularly in the sciences; (b) faculty from the SHPN, particularly in areas of growth (such as nursing) and in areas where upgrades to lab spaces are needed and vital; (c) faculty in the CACD, particularly with respect to studio space; (d) faculty from Communication Sciences and Disorders who are likely to also need some upgrades to their clinical space; (e) faculty who, for various reasons, need to teach in computer labs and would want to see upgrades to those labs or redesigns of the labs; and (f) faculty who, for various reasons, would like to participate by consulting in the design of regular classroom spaces.

I suspect that other aspects of the campus beyond the deferred maintenance on classroom and lab space will be addressed and will also have some priority (i.e., mold in buildings, leaky rooms and ceilings) and I suspect that, in addition, updates to dormitories, which are very outdated, will be built into these priority lists.

I am not sure what all is entailed, and I have essentially provided the information I was given here as well as some of my own predictions about what might take priority.  Given that I know there are many faculty who have been interested in updates to various areas on campus, I would urge us to identify at least one faculty member from each school/college to be involved in this process. In some areas, like the sciences or the SHPN or the CACD, we may want to have two representatives, at minimum.

Please work with your constituencies to identify some folks willing and interested in working on this project.  If you would like to participate, please let me know.

I don't know what sort of deadline there is to let me know names... we can provide a list of potential folks and if there are too many on the list, we can work to make the list smaller.

Thanks,

Michele

Michele M. Dornisch, Ph.D.
Professor
LIU Post, CEIT

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. ~George Bernard Shaw