[POST-CEIT-facultycouncil] Faculty Council/Listserv

Michele Dornisch Michele.Dornisch at liu.edu
Fri Nov 11 08:45:52 EST 2016

Dear colleagues,

As I understand it - I have removed myself from the faculty listserv due to the constant vitriol - there is major discontent with the faculty leadership on campus.  It is not clear whether the majority of the discontent is with the union or with the faculty governance.

Nonetheless, I am hereby announcing my resignation from the Faculty Council chairperson position, effective Dec. 31, because I will be taking a medical leave during the first part of the spring semester after a minor surgery.  Since I will be recovering for the first 6 weeks of the semester, it seems best to allow for a smooth transition to a new chairperson rather than to jump in and out.

I will complete my second two-year term, however, and will return to the Faculty Council through the end of the semester once I have returned.

However, as I understand it, there will be at least three seats open for Faculty Council representatives for the spring elections to begin a 2-year term in fall 2017.  Given the amount of discontent publicly stated through the faculty listserv, I would encourage those who are unhappy with the current faculty governance and its continued efforts at collaboration and negotiation with the administration, even in the face of major difficulties, to run for an open seat on the faculty council, particularly if you think that there are things that the current council is not doing appropriately to represent the faculty.

Again... 3 seats will be vacant, at minimum, of five.  The elections will commence in late March, as they do every year.  Should you be unhappy with what has been transpiring with the current faculty council leadership, this is your opportunity to step in and make the changes you desire.

Thanks,

Michele M. Dornisch, Ph.D.
Professor
LIU Post, CEIT

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. ~George Bernard Shaw