[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Invitation to Reception and Panel Discussion

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Thu Nov 8 12:10:59 EST 2018

Hello Students,

The veteran-themed art exhibition currently on display in the Salena and Humanities Galleries is a project called "Coming Home," which was conceived by the late Brookie Maxwell, a NYC artist who died in 2015. Here is an excellent brief video with Brookie talking about the project and its genesis: https://vimeo.com/193738883.

You are invited to the opening reception next Monday, 12 Nov, 5-7pm, in the Salena Gallery.  More important, however, you are also invited to the panel discussion next Tuesday, 13 Nov, 11am-12:30pm in LLC 116. The panel will consist of Gregory Gadson, an Army veteran who lost both legs above the knee after an IED attack in Afghanistan (his photography is part of the exhibition); Katherine Banks, an Art Therapist who crafted our Art Therapy degree proposal; Dr. Sara Haden of our very own Psychology Department; and Ellis Maxwell, son of Brookie Maxwell and moderator for the panel. The general theme/topic of this panel discussion is "Healing from Trauma".

At a local level, this event serves as an important and valuable backdrop as we get ready to launch our Art Therapy degree next year.  On a broader level, we've scheduled the event as close as possible to Veterans Day in order to allow reflection on the meaning of that day and to remind us of the commitment made by those who have served/are serving in the military, including the many student veterans who have graduated from LIU or who are currently attending our classes.

Scott Krawczyk, Ph.D.
Dean, Richard L. Conolly College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Long Island University | 1 University Plaza | Brooklyn, NY 11201-5372
Room LLC 517 | 718-488-1201
scott.krawczyk at liu.edu<mailto:scott.krawczyk at liu.edu>