[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] MHC Placement Opportunity
Christina.Scheinberg at liu.edu
Wed Apr 18 09:36:09 EDT 2018
Dear Mental Health Counseling Students,
Please see below for an internship opportunity on Riker’s Island. Email Ms. Laquerre (below for more information and any questions you may have!)
The New York City Department of Correction is looking for graduate level interns to engage in the following internship activities on Riker’s Island:
This is a unique growth and educational opportunity during which the student will be engaged in innovative approaches to working with a justice involved population.
Internship responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Conduct Functional Behavior Assessments for detainees engaging in problematic behaviors
* Create Behavior Intervention Plans for detainees engaging in problematic behaviors
* Participate in a multidisciplinary behavior management team
* Facilitate staff development for correction officers that are learning more about mental health and how it impacts behavior
* Facilitate community meetings on the first Veteran’s Unit on Riker’s Island
* Facilitate staff development for correction officers assigned to the Veteran’s unit
* Opportunity to learn clinic operations and ways to enhance access to health care services for justice involved individuals
* Opportunity to work with various populations placed at risk within the jail setting (transgender, youth, self- identified trauma victims)
Interns will participate in a week-long Crisis Intervention Training that is specialized for working with a justice involved population
Interns will have an opportunity to become trainers in Mental Health First Aid
Interns will have an opportunity to conduct research and participate in a Department of Justice Grant that looks at root causes for violence in justice involved individuals
* The research will be published
Preferred candidates will have:
Strong clinical skills
Strong writing skills
Strong public speaking skills
Knowledge and use of social media platforms
Some knowledge of video editing and presentation creation
Individual and group supervision are provided by
Dr. Nichole Adams
Deputy Commissioner for Health Affairs
Board Certified and Licensed Psychologist
President elect- American Board of School Psychology
Students might have office space at the Department of Correction Headquarters in East Elmhurst, NY or on Riker’s Island.
Internship hours and days are flexible. We provide service from 7am until 9pm, 7 days of the week. Supervisors are also available during those times.
We are also flexible for the length of the internship experience, but there is a minimum of a 6 month, 2 day a week, commitment.
Any person selected to participate will need to be fingerprinted and have a background check before a placement determination is made.
Interested candidates can send a resume and cover letter to:
Ms. Lauren Laquerre
Executive Assistant- Health Affairs
Lauren.laquerre at nyc.doc.gov<mailto:Lauren.laquerre at nyc.doc.gov>
Selected candidates will receive an application for the position.
Ms. Laquerre can also be contacted if there are questions about the experience.
Dr. Nichole Adams, ABPP
Deputy Commissioner | Health Affairs
New York City Department of Correction
Work: 718-546-0450 | Cell: 347-585-6456 | Fax: 718-278-6435
Socialize with us on FB<https://www.facebook.com/jointheboldest/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/correctionnyc> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ3ufsJYLztQA9JYfINcJ2w>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the BKN-SCHOOL-OF-EDUCATION-CSP-MHC