[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] In these times: Processing Racialized Trauma and Managing Related Stress

Wendi Williams Wendi.Williams at liu.edu
Fri Jul 8 10:00:28 EDT 2016

Dear Students,

I realize this has been a very critical week for us all.  We are witnessing horrific ethnoviolence and devastation in our communities, yet again. I do not pretend, nor imagine I can know how these events shape or impact you. I know for me it feels relentless and heavy. I am currently working on an article with a friend and colleague. We are not finished writing, however the excerpt below will find its way into the final draft and submission. Please read, and access the resource available at the link below for more information on self-care.  I hope in this small way we can be of use to you and your loved ones.

“The fact is there is a mental and emotional cost to bearing witness to the horrific experiences of others. This is made worse when we identify with the individual(s) that are victimized.  Our colleagues at Boston College have articulated #racialtraumaisreal (http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/isprc/manuscript415.html) to validate the experiences of racialized trauma to effect People of Color and those that love them. We feel connected and this makes our viewing of violence against Black men, women and children, particularly difficult.”

These words can be said for a number of other groups that are categorically disenfranchised and targeted in our society.  I am thinking of our transgender community members, and lesbian, gay and bisexual selves, friends and family.  The list is long for the ways our multiple and devalued identities intersect to create various contexts to legitimatize violence, hate and pain.

A number of our current and former counseling students are engaged in planning programming they will carry out as a function of the LIU Brooklyn Counseling Alumni Network (LIU-B, CAN).  As more information about their community group discussion is made available, I will share with you all.

In the meantime, please do find ways to take care of yourselves and be patient with others.

Wendi S. Williams, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Counseling
Chair, Department of Counseling and School Psychology

School of Education
Long Island University-Brooklyn
9 Hanover Place, 4th Floor
wendi.williams at liu.edu