[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] South Africa Summer Program

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Wed Feb 10 17:58:42 EST 2016

Dear Students,

My name is Ben Doherty, Founder and President of the BEA Institute. Similar to yours, our passion at BEA is to teach and develop students through experience and empowerment. We believe that in order to empower students and young leaders they have to first undergo a life changing experience. Our mission is to provide a life changing experience through an emersion in culture and unique opportunities in an environment that opens the mind. We believe traveling to unique countries and experiencing different cultures is invaluable to the success of our students and in developing critical life skills.

The BEA Institute organizes short term study abroad programs in Ireland, Iceland and South Africa. Our programs draw diverse groups of students from all over the world to experience a new country together and learn from one another. Our programs are unique in that they are on average 20-40 students in size. This small size provides a more intimate and impactful experience for our students; a life changing experience.

Our 2016 South Africa program runs June 8th-21st. This program will include lectures from experienced professors and guest speakers from the best Universities in South Africa.

A few of our local professors include:

·         Professor Dr. Rod Alence (University of the Witwatersrand, Best University in South Africa) -  Previous Head of Department

?   PHD from Stanford University

?   Previous Fulbright researcher at the University of Ghana’s Legon Centre for    International Affairs.

?   Holds nine distinctions and two winners of the School of Social Sciences postgraduate research prize.

·         Prof. Dr. Gilbert Khadiagala at the University of the Witwatersrand - Jan Smuts Professor of International Relations and Head of Department

?Published on politics and security in Southern Africa, the Great Lakes Region, Eastern, and the Horn of Africa

?Specializes in African International Relations, Conflict Management and Resolution, African Regional and Sub-Regional Institutions, and Comparative Political Institutions.

The students will enrich their knowledge of South Africa’s history, international politics and economics while also visiting monumental and historically significant places. We also encourage students to get to know one another and share cultural values through planned social events and simulations.

Some of the excursions include:
·  Nelson Mandela’s Jail Cell at Robben Island
·  Big 5 African Safari in the Greater Kruger National Park
·  Apartheid Museum
·  Visit President Nelson Mandela’s home in Soweto (South West Township)
·  NGO Service Learning day with Local South African Leaders
·  Discover Songimvelo Game Reserve and the Cradle of Life
·  Service Learning Day (Local NGO) – Students paired with local South Africans for a meaningful day of service with a local NGO. Vision: Young people understanding their roles as powerful agents of change – actively, confidently and positively contributing towards a better global community

Please Note: We limit our South Africa programs to 24 students per program and 8 students per director/vehicle to enhance the students experience, safety, and learning.

We understand students utilize their winter and spring break to arrange plans for their upcoming summer. We hope you will consider recognition of our institute as an option for your students who are looking for international opportunities.

We offer an informative detailed student packet.

This in-depth 30+ page packet includes a brief history of South Africa, unique areas we are visiting and why they are special, a day-by-day itinerary, about BEA Institute and our partners, tips on traveling to South Africa, and much more.

You or a student can download the packet here: http://www.beainstitute.org/download-south-africa-student-packet/

Do you have a student or students in mind that would seize an opportunity like this? If so, we ask you for their formal nomination. This nomination designates that you believe she or he is an above average opportunity seeker with a passion to learn and appreciate new ideas and customs.

We would greatly appreciate if you can pass the webinar invitation and packet about our program on to your students or submit a personal nomination to this email address. If you believe you have students at your university that would be interested in this unique opportunity, please inform them to contact us at info at beainstitute.org<mailto:info at beainstitue.org>

Thank you very much for your support, and to find more information about our Institute and program, please visithttp://www.beainstitute.org/beai/south-africa/.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Doherty
President | Ben.Doherty at beainstitute.org<mailto:Ben.Doherty at beainstitute.org> |+1 (941) 302-0483
www.BEAInstitute.org<http://www.beainstitute.org/> |2750 Stickney Point Road, Sarasota, FL 34231

[BEA2]
We value our students. In 2015 BEA pledges to save our students & their families over $250,000 through scholarships.<http://www.beainstitute.org/scholarship/>

 This listserv is provided for informational purposes only. LIU is not responsible for the content of the linked site(s). Links to resources or to job postings on this listserv do not serve and should not be interpreted as an endorsement or recommendation from The School of Education of LIU Brooklyn or any particular organization or entity. LIU assumes no liability for the materials supplied by third parties. We welcome your feedback regarding the information you have obtained from the listserv.