[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] CSP Book Group Information

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Mon Sep 14 11:22:31 EDT 2015

Dear Students,

The attached flyer announces the School Counseling & Psychology Book Group for the 2015-2016 year. I also wanted to send a note of orientation to the books and rationale for their choosing and to encourage your participation.

The book group grew out of an initiative of the Counseling program to read extracurricular texts with our students that would help us to contextualize our practice of education and counseling with current thinking. We then extended this to process the role of our ideas of identity with our practice as educators and practitioners.  Put simply, how does the way we identify shape our work with our clients, with our students, and other ways we practice?

This year we are looking at three texts, the first to be discussed on Veterans Day, November 11. I apologize in advance that this day may conflict with your class schedule and your ability to attend. With this noted, these texts are very worthy and in the spirit of building an intellectual community the spreading of these ideas has the potential to benefit us all, even when read on their own. Please consider reading on your own, even if you are not able to attend the group meeting.

The books.
We will begin with Whistling Vivaldi by Claude Steele.  Examining the exploration of stereotype threat has wide implication for educational and mental health contexts and I look forward to processing this with our group.

In January, ahead of the start of the semester we will consider Ta'Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me alongside a re-read of James Baldwin's Letter to My Nephew.  These both are striking for the similarity of their intention.

Finally, in July we will endeavor to understand more fully the role of trauma in the lives of all people, especially but not only to shape one's identity, how trauma manifests, and may explain our experiences with our students and clients through a reading of The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van der Kolk.

See the attached flyer (again) for specifics regarding dates and times.  I do hope you will consider participating at any level you are able this year.

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful start of the academic year.

Wendi S. Williams, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Coordinator, Counseling Programs
Chair, Department of Counseling and School Psychology
President, Section One (Black Women), Division 35, APA
Department of Counseling and School Psychology, School of Education
Long Island University - Brooklyn
Office 9 Hanover Place, 4th Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11201
Phone: 718-780-4369<tel:718-780-4369>; Fax: 718-246-6351<tel:718-246-6351>
Email: wendi.williams at liu.edu<mailto:wendi.williams at liu.edu>