[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Potential Tutors for GEAR UP program

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Wed Oct 21 10:54:56 EDT 2015

GEAR UP is looking for potential tutors for English Language Arts and Math. Recently, LIU Brooklyn received a state and federal grant to provide GEAR UP to a cohort of 8th graders from high need middle schools in the Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Bed-Stuy area. The middle schools are M.S. 61 (Dr. Gladstone Atwell Middle School), I.S. 68 (Isaac Bildersee Middle School), and M.S. 484 (Ronald Edmonds Learning Center II). GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, and it has been designed with the intent to increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education.
At this time, we are offering tutoring and homework assistance to the students after school from about 2:30 to 5 p.m. in the respective middle schools. We are also looking into the possibility of push-in tutoring during the school hours. As a result, we were wanting to find out if there are any current students that you would be able to recommend for this position. The salary ranges from $10-15/hr depending on experience and classification.  If you know of any students who may be a potential fit for this position, will you please let me and/or my colleague know? Please feel free to send us their contact information and/or request for them to send their email to Oluwaseyi.Adeoye at liu.edu<mailto:Oluwaseyi.Adeoye at liu.edu> and Jeffrey.Cunningham at liu.edu<mailto:Jeffrey.Cunningham at liu.edu>.

If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Seyi Adeoye
GEAR UP Site Coordinator

Long Island University- Brooklyn Campus
1 University Plaza, Pratt Building- 1st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
T: 718.488.1039<tel:718.488.1039>
F: 718.488.1412<tel:718.488.1412>