[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] A message to LIU Brooklyn Community

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Tue Nov 17 17:04:55 EST 2015

[http://webapps.liu.edu/media/liu-cline-header.2015-11-16%2011-08.jpg]

Dear Students,

In light of recent events at home and abroad, this is an important time for members of the LIU Brooklyn community to reflect on the lessons we have learned and the experiences we have had. Together, we share in the ideals of what makes higher education a great equalizer, through a passion for knowledge, a commitment to dialogue, and a desire to improve the world around us.

On this campus, we set out to see the world from a different point of view through the lens of a collection of people from the world over, with languages filling our classrooms and the breadth of culture that so aptly defines our motto -- To the City and to the World. Through resilience and compassion, we stand as a university committed to the success of our 20,000 students, and in the name of 200,000 LIU graduates who came before us, we are committed to building a brighter future that is more open, interconnected, and accepting.

In these challenging times, as we take time to reflect, let us do so in the name of service — service to our communities, to our education, and let us be reminded of the commitment we have to each other and this extraordinary community that we share. In the weeks ahead, I will help launch LIU Cares, a multi-campus, multi-dimensional initiative that shines a light on the power of service through volunteerism and community engagement.

This Thursday at 11:00 a.m. during common hour, I invite all members of the LIU community to come together in Kumble Theater to participate in a community dialogue on contemporary issues, and to show strength in what defines LIU Brooklyn as a great modern learning institution.

Most sincerely,

[http://webapps.liu.edu/media/Cline-signature.2014-03-24%2016-54.2015-01-05%2012-18.jpg]

Dr. Kimberly R. Cline

[https://apply.liu.edu/ebwebservices/customerservice.aspx?action=tag&cid=91698&tagids=1045&output=png]