[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Internship Opportunity - Food & Water Watch

Shinelle Romeo-Walcott Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:14:26 EST 2015

Food & Water Watch: GMO-Labeling Internship<http://bit.ly/1zRvEyC>

Food & Water Watch is a non-profit consumer advocacy organization that works to implement common sense policies that result in healthy, safe food and access to safe and affordable drinking water.

We believe consumers have the right to know what is in their food.  Genetically modified ingredients are prevalent in many of the foods we eat – for example, over 85% of corn is grown from genetically modified seeds.  GMOs pose severe risks to our environment, have unknown long term human health impacts, and have led to consolidation in the seed sector, further placing control of our food system in the hands of companies like Monsanto.

That’s why we’re working this spring to pass state legislation that would require the labeling of genetically modified foods sold in NY.  We’re gathering petitions, building a coalition of supporters, working with local media, meeting with elected officials, and organizing public events to show our decision-makers that the citizens of New York want to see a more transparent food system.

We are currently seeking interns interested in making a difference right here in New York City.  The position begins immediately and will typically require 10-15 hours per week.  Interns will be required to work in areas throughout Brooklyn, although specific locations and scheduling are flexible.  Internships are unpaid.

Potential Intern Positions:

Grassroots Coordinator

·       Work with project coordinators and organizers to coordinate local grassroots tactics, including petition-gathering, phone-banking, and turning citizens out to meetings/events

·       Track and record petition signatures received

·       Recruit and train volunteers, and attend weekly meetings

Media Coordinator

·       Work with project coordinators to set goals for campaign media coverage

·       Write news advisories and releases for campaign events

·       Make press calls to pitch stories and events to local reporters

·       Recruit and train volunteers, and attend weekly meetings

Coalitions Coordinator

·       Work with project coordinators to set goals for campaign coalition building

·       Help build a broad coalition in support of the campaign by contacting potential campaign partners (e.g. community groups, food co-ops, local businesses)

·       Recruit and train volunteers, and attend weekly meetings

Requirements:

Positive, outgoing attitude. Strong interest in social, food, and/or environmental issues.  Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to work well with others.  Good time management and organizational skills.  Desire to learn and develop campaign organizing skills.

How to Apply:

To apply, please fill out this online form<http://bit.ly/1zRvEyC>, and someone will be in touch with you shortly.  Please indicate which of the positions above you are most interested in.  If you have any questions, or if you would like to get involved but cannot commit to an internship, email Eric Traub atetraub at fwwlocal.org<mailto:etraub at fwwlocal.org> to discuss!

---------

Shinelle Romeo-Walcott, MHRM
Office Manager / School of Education
Email – Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu<mailto:Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu>
Phone – 718.488.1055
Fax – 718. 488.3472
[cid:454FDC3D-4413-40CF-8123-5941C69402B6]

Please consider the environment before printing this email.[Description: cid:108461117 at 10082009-1DCB]