[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Summer Study Abroad Program

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:09:23 EST 2015

Dear Students,

I am writing to let you know about an exciting two-week study abroad opportunity in Costa Rica that is being offered August 2-16, 2015 through the LIU Post Department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science. I am hoping that you will share this information with your students who may want to experience foreign travel and in the process earn credits.

I will be leading a 3-credit undergraduate course in Community Health that will focus on health education and physical education practices in urban and rural settings in Costa Rica. In particular, the course is designed to acquaint students with the philosophical concepts and methodological tools that encompass the many dimensions of health, wellness and fitness. This course will introduce the students to a more global perspective on these issues as studied in the context of health and education policies and practices in the Costa Rican school system.

First, allow me to introduce myself:  I am the  Chairperson of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science and have been teaching at LIU Post for fourteen years. I have extensive experience in Costa Rica, having taught seminars/workshops there for many years.

This course will be based at the LIU Global College Center in San Jose, where the classes will be held in the mornings.  The Global College staff are arranging visits to local schools and guest speakers on various topics including, education, history, language and culture, and physical education/health education practices in the schools.  The afternoons will be spent visiting schools, where we will be able to participate with students and teachers involved with physical education/fitness/health classes.  In San Jose we will also visit museums and other important sights in the city that will provide a window into life in this urban environment.

In addition to study, two wonderful excursions are planned: The first weekend we will go to a beautiful beach outside of San Jose.  During the second week we will spend three nights in the mountains in Monteverde, where we will visit schools in this and neighboring rural towns. This experience will provide opportunities for all participants to both experience and compare/contrast educational systems in Monteverde and the urban setting of San Jose.  In Monteverde, we will also visit the cloud forest, biological reserve, butterfly garden and participate in an exciting zip line over the canopy.

The housing will be in homestays--two students will stay together with each family. Most meals are also included. The total fee for all excursions, transportation in CR, home stay and meals will be approximately $1,060 for the two weeks. Tuition and airfare are extra, so I anticipate the total fee to be in the ballpark of $5K, which includes three undergraduate credits. LIU Travel Grants are available to all undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need who wish to attend courses that take place outside the United States during the  Summer terms. Students can be awarded up to $1000 for this program if they are eligible under the guidelines.

I am attaching a daily itinerary so you can get more of an idea of how the course will be organized. In addition, there is a a list of frequently asked questions and a flyer about the program. Please feel free to contact me with any of your questions, and of course I will appreciate it if you share the information herein with your students. They can contact me either by phone or email so that I can provide them with all the details of the trip.

Sincerely,
Nana Koch

Nana Koch, Ed.D
Chair and Associate Professor
Department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science
LIU Post
720 Northern Blvd.
Brookville, NY 11548
nkoch at liu.edu<mailto:nkoch at liu.edu>