[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] GEAR UP Tutors Needed
Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Tue Dec 15 15:43:11 EST 2015
GEAR UP Academic Tutors Needed
We are hiring at middle schools in Brooklyn!
GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Program. LIU GEAR UP is a state-funded grant program that has been designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. GEAR UP is currently providing services to an 8th grade cohort of students and will follow them through high school graduation. Services provided by the program include: academic and study skill development; academic, financial, or personal counseling; assistance in securing financial aid; information about career options; an individualized success plan; participation in cultural and social activities; mentoring; and collaborative partnerships with the community.
Under the direction and supervision of the GEAR UP Site Coordinator, the academic tutor will work with students in small groups or in a one-on-one setting and provide academic assistance in academic areas. Academic Tutors work part-time up to 17 hours per week at $10-$15/hr.
1. Meet with 8th grade students one-on-one or in small groups to provide academic support and during the school day, after school, and/or Saturdays.
2. Assist students in improving study skills necessary for improving academic performance.
3. Interact and communicate in a supportive, courteous, respectful, and professional manner with students, parents, community members, and other staff members.
4. Conduct instructional exercises assigned by the teachers and GEAR UP staff.
5. Perform accurate record-keeping requirements of the GEAR Up grant.
6. Adhere to district rules, policies, and regulations.
Reports to: GEAR UP Site Coordinator and/or Principal/Counselor/Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
Ability to relate to urban middle school students from multicultural backgrounds
Ability to learn and perform assigned work
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Work cooperatively with others and accept responsibility
Interested candidates, please forward your resume and availability to:
Seyi Adeoye at oluwaseyi.adeoye at liu.edu<mailto:oluwaseyi.adeoye at liu.edu> or
Jeff Cunningham at jeffrey.cunningham at liu.edu<mailto:jeffrey.cunningham at liu.edu>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: GEAR UP Tutor Job Description.pdf
Size: 145916 bytes
Desc: GEAR UP Tutor Job Description.pdf
Url : https://lists-1.liu.edu/pipermail/bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc/attachments/20151215/1d1b784d/attachment-0001.pdf
More information about the BKN-SCHOOL-OF-EDUCATION-CSP-MHC