[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Book club

Kathleen Prince Kathleen.Prince at liu.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:23:18 EST 2015

Dear  Students, Alumni and Colleagues:

53 years ago James Baldwin penned a letter to his nephew to describe and warn him about the racial dynamics in the U.S. at the time. In the summer of 2015, Ta-Nehisi Coates did the same in a conversation with his son captured in a  book. During this book group, we will re-consider Baldwin's letter to his nephew alongside Coates' conversation with his son. We will explore what these writings can tell us about raising consciousness through memoir and the potential effects for education, mental health and well-being, while considering what they may reveal to us about ourselves.
When. January 13, 2016 at 4 - 7 pm.
Where. LCEF, 3rd Floor, 9 Hanover Place,    Brooklyn, NY 11201
RSVP with Kathleen.Prince at liu.edu<mailto:Kathleen.Prince at liu.edu>

Wendi S. Williams, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Coordinator, Counseling Programs
Chair, Department of Counseling and School Psychology
President, Section One (Black Women), Division 35, APA
Department of Counseling and School Psychology, School of Education
Long Island University - Brooklyn
Office 9 Hanover Place, 4th Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11201
Phone: 718-780-4369<tel:718-780-4369>; Fax: 718-246-6351<tel:718-246-6351>
Email: wendi.williams at liu.edu<mailto:wendi.williams at liu.edu>