[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Welcome to the start of a new semester!

Shinelle Romeo-Walcott Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:42:52 EDT 2015

Dear Students,

Welcome to the start of a new semester! We hope you had a relaxing summer break and are delighted that you have decided to join or return to our School of Education community.

We are sure you are excited to begin classes and are in the process of preparation, so we would like to provide you with answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.

The School of Education is located at 9 Hanover Place between Fulton and Livingston Streets. Academic and administrative offices are located on the 4th floor. Our FUN afterschool program, LCEF [Learning Center for Educators and Families], and TRC [Teacher Resource Center] are located on the 3rd floor.

Frequent SOE Contacts
Enrollment Services Counselor (Academic Advisor): Zalika Taylor / Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu<mailto:Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu> / 718-488-1381
Certification Officer: Marizaldy Mercedes / Marizaldy.Mercedes at liu.edu<mailto:Marizaldy.Mercedes at liu.edu> / 718-488-1382
Counseling & School Psychology (CSP) Department Secretary: Kathleen Prince / Kathleen.Prince at liu.edu<mailto:Kathleen.Prince at liu.edu> / 718-488-1069
Teaching, Learning & Leadership (TLL) Department Secretary: Gloria Khan / Gloria.Khan at liu.edu<mailto:Gloria.Khan at liu.edu> / 718-488-1103

1.    FIRST DAY OF CLASS: Fall 2015 classes start on Tuesday, September 8th. If you are registered for a Wednesday, Thursday or Monday class, the first class meeting dates are 9/9, 9/10 and 9/14, respectively.

2.    ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: Room assignments are listed on the LIU website. Please click on the following  link for the most updated information - https://webapps.liu.edu/courseschedules/schedules.aspx?campus=B  Select either Teaching, Learning & Leadership (TLL) or Counseling and School Psychology (CSP) based on your home department. Teacher Education and Ed Leadership majors (TLL); Counseling and School Psychology majors (CSP).

Please note that room assignments are subject to change, so we recommend that you check on the day of your first class for the most updated information. Some classes are not yet assigned to rooms – please continue to check the online site.

3.    LIU EMAIL ADDRESS: Upon admission to the University, each student is assigned an LIU email address, usually in the format of "firstname[dot]lastname at my.liu.edu<mailto:firstname.lastname at my.liu.edu>". For example, Jane.Smith at my.liu.edu<mailto:Jane.Smith at my.liu.edu>. If you have a more common name you may have a number after your name; i.e. “firstname[dot]lastname2". If you have not already done so, click on the following link to activate your account:  http://it.liu.edu/Email/student  Departmental email will be sent to your LIU address. Please check it regularly for notifications and updates.

4.    BILLING/FINANCIAL AID/LOANS: For information regarding your bill or financial aid options, contact Enrollment Services at (718) 488-1013 or http://liu.edu/Brooklyn/Financial-Services. They are located in the Student Union Building, 3rd Floor (S310).

6.    ACADEMIC CALENDAR: For a copy of the University Academic Calendar, please click on the following link: http://liu.edu/Brooklyn/About/Offices/Registrar/Calendar

7.    UNIVERSITY HEALTH & MEDICAL SERVICES: For information regarding vaccinations or any other medical questions, please contact  University Health & Medical Services at (718) 246-6350 (brochure attached).

8.    TEXTBOOKS: For information regarding any textbooks that may have been ordered for your class(es), please click on the following link http://liunet-brooklyn.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TBWizardView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=32055  and follow the steps listed below:

Click on the 'Textbooks' tab
Select 'Find Textbooks’
Click on the drop-down box and change term to 'Fall ’15 – BKLN'
Select Department – TAL or CSP
Enter Course Code (course number, Ex. 201, 639, etc.) and Section
It is strongly recommended that you wait until receiving the course syllabus before purchasing textbooks.

9.    ADD/DROP COURSES: If you wish to add or drop a course, please contact the School of Education Enrollment Services Counselor (Academic Advisor), Zalika Taylor (Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu<mailto:Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu> / 718-488-1381).

If you have any other questions not answered in this email, please feel free to contact me at Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu<mailto:Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu> / 718-488-1055.

Thank you.

Shinelle Romeo-Walcott, MHRM
Office Manager / School of Education
Email – Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu<mailto:Shinelle.Romeo at liu.edu>
Phone – 718.488.1055
Fax – 718. 488.3472
[cid:3CF9E1C5-659F-49DA-94DB-8314E8BC8B2A]

Please consider the environment before printing this email.[Description: cid:108461117 at 10082009-1DCB]