[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Save the Date: May 16, 2015 Race, Rights & Responsibility

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Tue Apr 21 16:22:50 EDT 2015

Dear Students,
[NYU Steinhardt]<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/738/0/>
The Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/479050/0/>
Race, Rights, and Responsibility: What Educators Can Do To Help Their Students Think Critically About Protest, Law Enforcement, and Civil Liberty

A Conference for Teachers by Teachers

SAVE THE DATE - May 16, 2015

New York University Global Center for Academic
and Spiritual Life
238 Thompson Street

Given recent events of violence and resistance in the US (and beyond), The Metro Center and our partners present “Race, Rights and Responsibility,” an interactive, 1-day collaborative community conference for educators. The conference will give teachers space to think critically about what we can do to help our students engage important issues of protests, policing, and civil liberties.

In the wake of the chilling deaths of people such as Walter Scott, Islan Nettles, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner, and the mass incarceration of Black and Brown bodies, it is imperative that educators engage some of the same questions our students may be asking: How might classrooms be used to promote equity, engage trauma, and prepare youth to productively participate in movements aimed at achieving justice? How can we advocate for liberation while also advancing and inspiring youth social, emotional and intellectual development?

By addressing these questions, this event will feature critical discussions concerning what it means to teach today’s youth in turbulent times. In so doing, we will explore issues surrounding the intersections of pedagogy and policing, racial bias and police brutality, social resistance and state repression. Nationally renowned speakers coupled with a list of dynamic workshop facilitators will examine the larger contexts of racial inequity (economic, political, social, and cultural) mediated by (dis)respectability politics and furthered sanctioned by the lingering effects of discreet and indiscreet forms of institutionalized discrimination. With the goal of helping educators interrupt chronic systems of oppression, the conference will be innovative, designed to explore foundational issues that ground race, class, and ethnicity. The conference will also be practical, designed to provide participants tools and information to take back to our classrooms to stimulate further discussion with our students.

Featured speakers include Ernest Morrell<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655059/0/>, executive director of the Institute for Urban and Minority Education at Columbia University; Dream Hampton<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655060/0/>, cultural critic and award-winning filmmaker; Pedro Noguera<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655061/0/>, professor of education at NYU Steinhardt and executive director of the Metro Center; Stanley Nelson<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655062/0/>, award-winning documentary filmmaker and producer; and David E. Kirkland<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655063/0/>, associate professor of English Education at NYU Steinhardt and deputy director of the Metro Center.

REGISTER NOW HERE<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/655064/0/>!

The Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/479050/0/> is a comprehensive center that focuses on educational research, policy, and practice. The Metro Center<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/479050/0/> acts as a partner and resource at the local and national levels in strengthening and improving access, opportunity, and the quality of education in our schools. Our mission is to target issues related to educational equity by providing leadership and support to students, teachers, parents, administrators, and policymakers.

Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools<http://lists.nyu.edu/t/14553838/19300144/479050/0/>
726 Broadway 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003
212 998 5100 (phone) | 212 995 4199 (fax)