[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Camp Counselor Positions-The New York Foundling

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue Apr 21 12:12:06 EDT 2015

[NYF logo.jpg]
CAMP COUNSELOR POSITIONS
The New York Foundling (the "Foundling") is one of the oldest, largest and most well-respected human services agencies in New York.  Established as a home for abandoned children, the Foundling has been saving children, preserving families, and building communities since 1869. The Foundling's focus is on child welfare and the developmentally disabled and creating a community where each child, youth and adult enjoys the safe, stable and support relationships needed to reach his or her full physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual potential.
Enjoying the outdoors. Meeting new friends. Learning new skills. For many kids in the child welfare system, being a carefree kid is a luxury they don’t get to experience nearly enough. Camp Felix Summer Camp is changing that. Started in partnership with Darryl “DMC” McDaniels from “Run D-M-C,” and Sheila Jaffe, one of the movie industry’s most well-known casting directors, Camp Felix provides 150-200 children in our care with a camping experience that, for many participants, changes their outlook on life altogether. The only overnight camp for children in the child welfare system, our campers immerse themselves in activities that instill feelings of self-confidence, resilience and community. Many campers leave carrying a new sense of hope with them, and the belief that despite their difficult circumstances, they can “do anything."

We are currently recruiting for Camp Counselors at our Camp Felix program in Putnam Valley-one hour from NYC.  Camp Felix is a four-week sleep away camp for children in foster care and/or receiving other social services from the New York Foundling.   The camp runs from Monday through Friday from July 27th through August 21st, 2015, and staff must be available for a week of training beginning July 20th – July 26th.  We provide transportation to and from NYC to the camp site Monday morning and back Friday afternoon.
Responsibilities: Counselors Live in a lodge with campers; supervises campers and implements daily schedule of activities; ensures safety, personal hygiene and well-being of campers; helps to implement camp mission, vision and goals; ensures neatness of cabin by campers; helps to prevent dangerous situations by minimizing risks and responding to emergencies; runs or assists with activities (arts & crafts, sports, hiking, games, etc.); provides leadership and guidance to campers including encouraging participation in activities; reports to assistant director and director; other duties as assigned
Requirements:  High school diploma/GED required.  College students majoring in Education, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, and Counseling are highly preferred. Must be energetic and enthusiastic.  Must have knowledge of, and experience working with, children.  Must have a hands-on attitude and serve as a positive example to campers.  Prior camp experience, First Aid and CPR certifications preferred.
Salary: $450/Week
We invite you to join our dedicated & diverse workforce by applying directly online through our website -- www.nyfoundling.org/jobs<http://www.nyfoundling.org/jobs>.  - or sending your resume along with cover letter tojobs at NYFoundling.org<mailto:jobs at NYFoundling.org> or 212-727-6805(fax). Indicate “Camp” on subject line.  AA/EOE

This listserv is provided for informational purposes only. LIU is not responsible for the content of the linked site(s). Links to resources or to job postings on this listserv do not serve and should not be interpreted as an endorsement or recommendation from The School of Education of LIU Brooklyn or any particular organization or entity. LIU assumes no liability for the materials supplied by third parties.

We welcome your feedback regarding the information you have obtained from the listserv.

Raven Maldonado-Brown, M.S., LMHC
Coordinator of Student Progression Services
9 Hanover Place, Room 431