[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Invitation from Dr. Ellen Short: Diversity Challenge: October 24-25, 2014

Wendi Williams Wendi.Williams at liu.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:14:13 EDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to remind you all that the Diversity Challenge will be held on October 24-25, 2014 at Boston College.  It's sponsored by The Institute for the Study and Promotion of Race and Culture (ISPRC), which was founded by Dr. Janet Helms, who a Professor at Boston College.  Dr. Helms is also a scholar, researcher, mentor, and one of the pioneers of multicultural counseling and psychology.  She will be in attendance at the conference, so if you attend it will be a great opportunity to meet her. It will also be a great opportunity for you to meet and network with other students, scholars, practitioners, educators, and social activists who are committed to working with multicultural issues.

The theme for this year's Diversity Challenge is:  "Racial or Ethnic Discrimination across the Lifespan."  There will be individual presentations, panel discussions, workshops, symposia, structured discussions and poster sessions about this topic. And, I'll be presenting a workshop on Friday, Oct. 24th re: Institutional Transference, focusing on recognizing/exploring our embedded identities and the impact of systemic cultures on them.

Here's the website for more information:  www.bc.edu/isprc<http://www.bc.edu/isprc>.

If you wish to communicate with me about the conference, please send me an email at my address:  ellen.short at liu.edu<mailto:ellen.short at liu.edu>.

Ellen

Ellen L. Short, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
School of Education
Department of Counseling and School Psychology
Long Island University/Brooklyn Campus
9 Hanover Place, 4th Floor, Office #419
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Phone:  (718) 488-3358