[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Invitation to School of Education Book Croup

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:53:58 EDT 2014

Dear Students, below is an invitation to the next School of Education's Book Group!!!
Identity and Practice

Join the School of Education for our 2nd book reading and discussion group. We have decided on bell hooks’, Teaching to Transgress and will meet on January 14, 2014 to discuss the book and engage in the process of recording our own stories, personal narratives about how our identities shape our practice.

Identity and Practice. There are reasons that you have chosen to become an educator and/or focus on the mental health and wellness of students and individuals, their families and the communities inwhich they live and grow. One’s identity is important and critical in the definition of not only who they are, but why and how they do what they do. Join us as we ask ourselves how identity shapes:
[cid:CD3074D2-0753-45D3-87A7-20D61B21136D]

·                                                                                       How we teach.

·                                                                                          How we consider and assess children and their abilities in schools.

·                                                                                          What we believe shapes an individual.

·                                                                                          How we create social and cultural context for mental health and wellness, and learning.

·                                                                                          The processes by which we craft our leadership and seek to inspire groups and communities for effective and transformative change.

* We will hold two recording sessions (see above) in which we will record 3-5 minute clips in which you share the link between your identity and your practice. A sample recording will be available as a guide.

When: January 14, 2014                 Recording Session I:                            4:30-5:15 pm.
             Brief Refreshment and Transition:     5:15-5:30 pm.
                                                                     Book Discussion:                                 5:30-7:00 pm.
         Closing and Transition                        7:00 -7:15 pm.
         Recording Session II:                           7:15 – 8:00 pm.

RSVP with Raven Maldonado  (718-488-1544<tel:%28718-488-1544>/raven.maldonado at liu.edu<mailto:raven.maldonado at liu.edu>).

-       Indicate whether you are available for Recording Session I, II or both.

-       If you would like to attend the book discussion group only, please indicate this at RSVP.