[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] SoE Invitation to Join GSAC to Paint a School with Publicolor

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue May 27 12:07:39 EDT 2014

Dear students,

GSAC has initiated a valuable relationship with Publicolor<http://www.publicolor.org/>, an organization that aims "to counter inner-city public schools’ alarming dropout rate by engaging disconnected youth in their education through a continuum of design-based programs and academic support."
One aspect of this work includes painting and re-decorating inner-city educational environments to enliven these spaces, giving children cared for environments in which to learn and grow. We ourselves are aware of the effect vibrant color and light can have on an environment through our own recent relocation to a space renovated/prepared for us and are inspired to support this initiative in NYC schools. We welcome our entire SoE community to join us on Saturday, May 31 to paint, redecorate and connect with a hands-on project that is so much of what inspires our work with our students in class and beyond.

Please see attached a flyer with detailed information including RSVP contact as well as photos of GSAC members engaged in this activity earlier this spring.

wsw

Wendi S. Williams, Ph.D.

Associate Professor & Coordinator, Counseling Programs

Department of Counseling and School Psychology

School of Education

Long Island University - Brooklyn

Office 9 Hanover Place, 4th Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11217

Phone: 718-780-4369; Fax: 718-246-6351

Email: wendi.williams at liu.edu<mailto:wendi.williams at liu.edu>