[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Invitation to Book Group event

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Mon Jun 2 14:20:00 EDT 2014

Dear students,

Join the School of Education for our 3rd book reading and discussion group. Culminating with the 90th Anniversary of James Baldwin’s birth, we have decided to delve into his seminal writings which articulate the complexity of race relations and culture in our society.  We have settled on reading his Fire Next Time and will meet to process the meaningfulness of this book first published over 50 years ago for our work to understand the ways our identities shape praxis.
(Please see http://progressive.org/archive/1962/december/letter and http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=1962-11-17#folio=058 )

Identity and Praxis. There are reasons that you have chosen to become an educator and/or focus on the mental health and wellness of students and individuals, their families and the communities inwhich they live and grow. One’s identity is important and critical in the definition of not only who they are, but why and how they do what they do. Join us as we ask ourselves how identity shapes:

·                                                                                                     How we teach.

·                                                                                                     How we consider and assess children and their abilities in schools.

·                                                                                                     What we believe shapes an individual.

·                                                                                                     How we create social and cultural context for mental health and wellness, and learning.

·                                                                                                     The processes by which we craft our leadership and seek to inspire groups and communities for effective and transformative change.

When: July 21, 2014
4:30- 7 pm.

Where: 9 Hanover Place, 3rd Floor