[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Announcement of next Book Group

Zalika Taylor Zalika.Taylor at liu.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:43:48 EDT 2014

Dear Students:

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION STUDENT/FACULTY/STAFF BOOK GROUP

August 26

4:30 to 7:00

THIRD FLOOR, 9 HANOVER PLACE

Join the School of Education for our fifth book reading and discussion group.  We are reading Wonder by R.J Palacio.

[Text Box: August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?]

This is a Young Adult novel that promises to open up many important questions about identity, disability, relating to someone who seems “other.”  The book connects closely with the SoE mission of pluralism, empathy, and social commitment. The group will include students, faculty and staff from Counseling, Teacher Education, School Psychology, and School Leadership.  With all these perspectives, our discussion will be rich, so come and be part of it.

This book is easily available from many sources and in several formats.