[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Special Invitation

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue Nov 26 14:36:43 EST 2013

Dear students,

The School of Education would like to invite you to our 2nd book reading and discussion group. We have decided on bell hooks’, Teaching to Transgress and will meet on January 14, 2014 to discuss the book and engage in the process of recording our own stories, personal narratives about how our identities shape our practice.

Identity and Practice. There are reasons that you have chosen to become an educator and/or focus on the mental health and wellness of students and individuals,their families and the communities in which they live and grow. One’s identity is important and critical in the definition of not only who they are, but why and how they do what they do.

·       How you teach.

·       How you consider and assess children and their abilities in schools.

·       What you believe shapes an individual.

·       How you create social and cultural context for mental health and wellness, and learning.

·       The processes by which you craft your leadership and seek to inspire groups and communities for effective and transformativechange.

The School of Education is focusing in on the ways identity shapes/informs/inspires our practices and would like to capture your story. We will utilize hooks’ model for pulling out aspects of your identity and connecting it to your motivation and process for your specific practice. On the day of the book discussion group we will hold two recording session, 4:30 – 5:15 pm and 7:15 – 8 pm, in which we will record 3-5 minute clips in which you share the link between your identity and your practice. There will be support and an example to help guide this process so please feel welcome to participate and engage in thiscommunity building experience.

The agenda for the evening will be the following:

Recording Session I: 4:30-5:15 pm
Brief Refreshment and Transition: 5:15-5:30 pm
Book Discussion: 5:30-7 pm.
Closing and Transition 7 -7:15 pm
Recording Session II: 7:15 – 8 pm

If you are interested in making a recording contribution and would like to record your narrative, please RSVP with Raven Maldonado-Brown either by phone, 718-488-1544 or e-mail raven.maldonado at liu.edu<mailto:raven.maldonado at liu.edu> and indicate whether you are available for Recording Session I,II or both.  If you would like to attend the bookdiscussion group only, please indicate this at RSVP.

Information about bell hooks’, Teaching to Transgress can be found on various websites, and in bookstores and libraries. The following Goodread’s link is one option in which provides information about multiple sources for accessing the text (see http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27091.Teaching_to_Transgress).

Additionally, should you be curious about the author, a brief bio about her can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_hooks.

We look forward to your participation in this program.