[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] May 2013 Commencement Information

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:31:49 EST 2013

Dear students,

For all students graduating and/or participating in this May's Commencement Ceremony, you can find detailed information on the event by visiting the following website: http://liu.edu/About/Commencement/Graduates/Brooklyn

LIU Brooklyn
Eligibility Requirements

May commencement exercises are open to all students who graduated in September 2012, January 2013 and all those students who are legitimate candidates for graduation in May of 2013. If you are a candidate for May graduation you should have already filed an application for May degree with the Office of the Registrar. If you are a candidate for September 2013 graduation, you should be marching in the ceremony of 2014; however, if you provide us with a receipt indicating that you have applied for a September 2013 degree you may be allowed to march in May of 2013. Note, however, that the names of September 2013 graduates will not appear in the May 2013 Commencement Program. Please make sure that you check with your academic counselor to ensure that all your degree requirements will be met. You must also settle all financial commitments (including any library or lab fines, etc.) with the University before graduation.

Diplomas

If you are graduating in May please note that your diploma will be mailed to you shortly after commencement. Should you need a letter certifying your graduation, don’t hesitate to apply for one in the Office of the Registrar, Room S-102.

Photographs

Jasienowski Studios will be on campus to take pictures from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. as follows: Monday through Thursday, April 15 through April 18 and April 22 through April 25 and Fridays April 19 and 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Avena Lounge. Please visit http://www.jasienowskistudios.com/liubc.html or call the yearbook office, (718) 488-1592 or S-220, to schedule an appointment for the yearbook portrait.

Everyone is encouraged to take their portrait, so please come dressed to take your portraits when you at your appointment time.

If you have any items (poems, photos etc.) that you want to contribute to the yearbook, or if you want to buy space to congratulate a fellow classmate, you can contact a yearbook representative at (718) 488-1592.

College Rings and Commencement Paraphernalia

We have invited vendors to be on Campus during our Graduation Bazaar (April 23 through April 25) to display graduation rings and to provide sundry graduation Paraphernalia for purchase.

Graduation Bazaar

The Office of Student Life and Leadership development will host a Graduation Bazaar from Tuesday, April 23 to Thursday, April 25 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Avena Lounge, which should facilitate all the needs of our graduating population. Students will be able to collect or make last-minute purchases on caps and gowns, take yearbook portraits, and visit various campus representative and graduation vendors. Students must bring your receipt of payment for the academic attire and picture identification to collect your academic attire. While all graduating students should have already ordered cap and gowns, we will have some academic attire available for last-minute purchases. Please note, however, that if you did not pre-order we cannot guarantee that we will have the attire suited for you at the bazaar. Note further that if you choose to purchase the wrong attire you will not be refunded in any manner for what you have purchased.

Academic Attire

The cap is worn with the long point of the shell to the rear. The tassel is worn forward to the right until the degree has been conferred.

Caps, Gowns, and Tassels

All late academic attire will be purchased during the Graduation Bazaar only. When you come to the Avena Lounge to collect or purchase your cap and gown please bring picture identification. Students should note that in order to be guaranteed five tickets for commencement they must purchase their full academic attire through the Office of Student Life & Leadership Development. Payment for last-minute purchases must be in the form of money orders payable to Long Island University or credit cards only. NOTE:  Credit card payments may be made through the Office of Integrated Student Financial Services ONLY at the following times: Tuesday and Wednesday from 1:00 P.M. TO 6:00 P.M. and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Please note also that while we will try to accommodate all of our graduating students, we do not guarantee that will have all of the necessary items to facilitate last-minute orders. Absolutely no cash or personal checks will be accepted!

The price for the Associates Package is $TBA.

Although our academic attire is sold as a package some students may desire to buy additional items separately. The prices for individual items are: Tassel- $ TBA, and Cap - $TBA.

You will receive an official Long Island University Student Life & Leadership Development receipt as well as a coupon to pick up your academic attire.

Stole of Gratitude

The stole of gratitude is given by graduating students to their parents or to other loved ones who were instrumental in the success of the student’s education. Parents or other persons significant to the graduate wear the stole during commencement. The cost for the stole is $TBA.

Commencement Informational Session

Check out our informational videos on the Commencement website. However, if you have any further questions, please direct them to Cris Gleicher in Pratt 310 during the drop-in informational sessions on these dates: TBD

Senior Awards

As we approach Commencement 2013, we would like to honor the “Best of the Best” of the graduating class. If you have received a letter from your department, please complete the Student Biography form<http://www2.brooklyn.liu.edu/commencement10/submit.html> online for our Senior Awards Booklet. You will be able to pick up a copy of the booklet at your scheduled Dean’s Event.

If you have any questions, please contact Nesrin Fernandes at 718-780-4356 or e-mail at nesrin.canku-fernandes at liu.edu<mailto:nesrin.canku-fernandes at liu.edu>. Congratulations on your academic achievements.

Awards Day

Students receiving awards will be invited to the Awards Ceremony by their respective School or College. The ceremony will be held on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. in the Kumble Theater. Invitations to graduates receiving awards will be mailed in April.

Commencement Video

Videos of the Commencement will be prepared by LIU-TV. If you are interested in purchasing videos of the Commencement please, fill out the video request form and return it with payment to a Student Life and Leadership Development representative at the Graduation Bazaar, or mail it with your money order to the address listed. For more information call LIU-TV at (718) 488-3435.

Invitations for Guests

Commencement tickets will be available during the Graduation Bazaar. With respect to the solemn nature of the occasion, it is recommended that young children do not attend the ceremony. Each participating graduate is guaranteed TBA tickets.

Grad Finale Dinner, Show & Dance

This is surely an elegant affair you will not want to miss. Join us as we celebrate you. For more information and tickets contact Ashley Best in Student Life and Leadership Development at (718) 488-1216.

Alumni Benefits

Congratulations to the Class of 2013 on all of your extraordinary accomplishments, and welcome to the LIU Brooklyn alumni family! Ever hear the phrase “Membership has its privileges?” Well, it’s true. As an LIU Brooklyn graduate you have exclusive access to a wide variety of alumni benefits including privileges to the campus library, discounts and services. As a member of the Alumni Association you are also invited to alumni events where there are opportunities for networking, professional development and fun.

For more information on alumni benefits, please visit https://community.liu.edu/alumnibenefits.

Office of Development and Alumni Relations
1 University Plaza, Room HS 114
alumni at brooklyn.liu.edu<mailto:alumni at brooklyn.liu.edu>
Facebook: LIU Brooklyn Alumni
<https://www.facebook.com/LIUBROOKLYNALUMNI>Twitter: @liubklynalumni <https://mobile.twitter.com/liubklynalumni>