[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Part Time Position in Harlem for LIU students/alumni

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Fri Sep 7 09:15:01 EDT 2012

Dear students,

I'm forwarding over a job description for a Part-time Academic Assistant.  Interested parties should send cover letters and resumes to: Tai at streetsquash.org<mailto:Tai at streetsquash.org> with Academic Assistant Position in the subject line.  Best wishes!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Position Description:

StreetSquash Inc. was founded in September 1999 and is an after-school youth enrichment program that combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, college prep, literacy, community service, and one-on-one mentoring. StreetSquash’s mission is to provide consistent and reliable support to the children, families and schools in Harlem. We aim to help each child realize his or her academic and personal potential through rigorous and regular academic and athletic activities. Because of our belief in long-term, intensive work, we require a commitment of up to six years from participants in our After-School Program.

The StreetSquash After-School Program offers middle and high school students an opportunity to strengthen academic skills in a supportive environment.  Academic sessions are held daily for 75 minutes and emphasize productive homework completion and skill building through the use of personalized academic supplemental materials.  A portion of middle school academic sessions are focused on offering the students a comprehensive Skills Building curriculum designed to prepare them for the riggers of middle school and the New York State Exams.  Sessions are lead by Academic Directors with the support of Academics Assistants.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

·       Implementing the Skill Building curriculum for middle school students

·       Assisting in preparing supplemental academic materials

·       Prepping for and facilitating homework help sessions which includes tutoring middle and high school students one-on-one and in small groups

·       Assisting in management of volunteer tutors

·       Helping monitor students during transitions, arrival and dismissal

Qualifications:

·       Must be available to work at least four days: Monday–Friday 2:15 – 6:15 pm and/or Saturdays 11:30 – 3:00, and commit to a full academic school year.

·       Knowledge of all academic subjects (middle school and/or high school level)

·       Excellent writing, teaching and facilitation skills

·       Experience working with youth required

Note:

·       Opportunity to develop skills in behavior management, group facilitation, organization, etc. through on site training.

·      Pay: $14 - $15 an hour.

·       We follow the NYS school schedule for all major holidays.

Raven Maldonado, M.S., LMHC