[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Travel Course to Rwanda

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue Mar 20 11:26:43 EDT 2012

Dear students,

The Departments of Counseling and Development at the LIU Post and Brentwood campuses are happy to announce a great opportunity to travel to Rwanda this summer as part of their Summer Travel Courses.  Students participating in the trip will have be able to experience the mental health system in Rwanda, help establish a mental health clinic, visit Rwandan museums, and explore major cultural site/natural wonders including a guided safari tour.

The trip is scheduled for this July 28th to August 7th and can count toward an elective credit for Mental Health Counseling students.  Please see the message below for more details on trip expenses and department contact information.

"The trip cost airfare $2275, $1850 for tuition and $1800 for expenses. The expenses include a travel insurance through LIU, accommodation and food in Rwanda and Tanzania ( After the week in Rwanda we go to Tanzania to tour the Safari for three  days. ..and all that expenses is included in the expenses). We leave on July 28 and return on August 8, 2012.

If students are interested they just need to contact me and sign up at jsmith at liu.edu<mailto:jsmith at liu.edu>  or call 516-851-4548. We have space until the first week in April.

Would love to have more of your students participate in the expereince. We are helping to open a Mental Health Clinic and to help two Orphanages in Rwanda. Also participating in a research project on using a Travel Course as a way to create cultural awareness. This course is EDC 619."

Dr. June Smith

Raven Maldonado, M.S.