[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Summer Internship Position Available
Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Thu Mar 8 10:30:13 EST 2012
Dear MHC students,
Please see the below for a possible internship opportunity for this summer!
Raven Maldonado, M.S.
Dept. of Counseling and School Psychology
School of Education
Long Island University
1 University Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu<mailto:Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu>
GO Families Paid Summer Internship (MSW & Mental Health Counselors)
GO Project Mission
The GO Project shapes the futures of low-income New York City public school children by providing critical academic, social and emotional support starting in the early elementary years. GO provides year-round educational and family support services to children who are performing below grade level and equips them with the confidence and skills needed to succeed at school, at home and in life.
GO Summer is a rigorous five-week summer program with a staff of certified teachers and specialists, enrichment teachers, teaching assistants, student teachers/teacher candidates and numerous skilled volunteers. Students attend five days a week for a full day of academic and enrichment classes. Class size is deliberately kept small with a maximum of 14 students. Each morning, students concentrate on intensive reading, writing and math, with a focus on the specific areas where each student requires improvement. Students who have individualized education plans with recommended supports, are English language learners, or are promotion in doubt are pulled out for individualized small group instruction with specially trained reading, math, ESL and speech specialists. In the afternoon, the students enjoy enrichment classes in subjects ranging from art and music to computers and physical education. The GO Summer academic team meets twice a week, once in grade teams and once as a larger cohort, to brainstorm challenges, share best practices and ensure student progress.
GO Families is seeking skilled and highly motivated summer interns for the GO Summer Program. Each intern will be responsible for running parent workshops, small groups for elementary and/or middle school aged children, crisis intervention, behavioral intervention, short-term individual counseling and family case management. The program runs from July 2 to August 3, 2012. Hours are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm or 10:00am to 6:00pm daily. GO Summer uses the facilities and classrooms of Grace Church School which is located at 86 Fourth Avenue and Friends Seminary which is located at 222 East 16th Street.
Additionally, interns will be responsible for conducting psychosocial intake sessions for newly accepted families, and attending mandatory 3 day internship training and staff orientation. All will be held in June, 2012 (Dates will be given on the day of interview).
* Complete 10-12 psychosocial intake sessions (30 min per session) for newly accepted families on Psychosocial Days in June.
* Create & implement collaborative student support plan in partnership with Program Managers, Director of Curriculum & Instructions, Head Teachers and other key program staff in order to support children in need of additional services during program.
* Provide on-site crisis intervention and follow up for children and families, as needed.
* Actively engage with our children and families during drop-off and pick-up hours
* Plan & facilitate weekly parent workshops.
* Provide short-term individual, family, and small group counseling and case management to program children and their families. Responsible for small caseload, in addition to the provision of support to all program participants.
* Complete agency’s administrative requirements on time.
· Respond to emails or phone calls within 24 hours.
· Perform other responsibilities as requested by the senior staff.
* Attend weekly supervision with the Director of GO Families.
* Assist with the Family Potluck and culminating event at the conclusion of the Summer program.
* Currently a prospective 2nd year student or graduate of Master’s program in Social Work, Counseling Psychology, or related field.
* Preferred candidate has experience in summer camp, school-based or community based setting, working with children ages 6-14.
* Significant capacity to serve & perform in fast-paced setting.
* Ability to speak Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish is strongly preferred.
* Experience with group work, play therapy and strengths-based, systemic approach to assessment and counseling for elementary and middle school aged youths.
* Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to foster and manage relationships with a diverse set of key players in the program – families and program staff.
* Familiarity with diverse cultural backgrounds and child development.
Psychosocial Intake Sessions: June 2012 (Dates: TBA)
Training: June, 2012 (Dates: TBA- 4 hours/day)
Program: July 2, 2012– August 3, 2012
If you are interested in applying for a GO Families summer internship position, please send a cover letter and resume with 3 professional references to ymatsuda at goprojectnyc.org<mailto:ymatsuda at goprojectnyc.org>. In the subject please indicate GO FAMILIES PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIP. No phone calls please.
More information about the BKN-SCHOOL-OF-EDUCATION-CSP-MHC