[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] NYU Metro Center E-Blast January 2012

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue Jan 24 11:58:14 EST 2012

Dear Students,

I am forwarding information on several events that may be of interest to you.  Please forward on.

Raven Maldonado, M.S.

NYUSteinhardtSchool ofCulture, Education and Human Development
 Metropolitan Center for Urban Education<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/>

Metro Center’s monthly E-Blast provides updates on current research, policies and practices, resources, and upcoming events conducted by our Center.

Applied Research, Evaluation and Policy Center (AREPC)<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/arepc>

Metro Center releases report on program evaluation of Rocket Learning - a supplemental education service
<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/eaf7/Metro_Center_Press_Release.RLReport.pdf>

This new report was based on a Metro Center study which analyzed student-level achievement data of program participants and non-participants from California, New York, Illinois, and New Jersey, drawn from surveys administered between January 2010 and October 2010. Click the link above to find out more.

New Book by Metro Scholars Noguera and Fergus - Invisible No More: Understanding the Disenfranchisement of Latino Men and Boys<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/men_and_boys/invisiblenomore>

Edited by Pedro Noguera, Aida Hurtado and Edward Fergus
Be sure to visit our Invisible No More webpage in the coming weeks to see photos and streaming video from the book launch and public dialogue event this past November at NYU.
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/men_and_boys/invisiblenomore<https://outlook.liu.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

Technical Assistance Center on Disproportionality (TACD)<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/tacd>

<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/hz421/Metro_Dr.Gray/CRE_4-Part_Flyer_Spring_12.pdf>
Metro's TACD Presents "Culturally Responsive Education: A 4-Part Learning Series for Teachers. February 28 & 29, and April 17 & 18 @ NYU
<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/hz421/Metro_Dr.Gray/CRE_4-Part_Flyer_Spring_12.pdf>
The purpose of Culturally Responsive Education (CRE) is to build teachers’ ability to engage in habits of thinking that promote changes in pedagogical practices and interpersonal relationships among students from vulnerable populations.  These four training sessions are specifically geared for teachers who are currently in classrooms, and are interested in improving how they teach and connect with students from culturally diverse backgrounds.

Register by February 1st to receive the early bird special discount rate of only $550. The first 10 people to register will also receive a free signed copy of Invisible No More: Understanding the Disenfranchisement of Latino Men and Boys, edited by Metro's own Pedro Noguera and Eddie Fergus.<http://culturallyresponsive.eventbrite.com>

http://culturallyresponsive.eventbrite.com
<http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter.olde/programs/TACD/documents/Differentiated%20Instruction%20and%20Disproportinality%20Brief.pdf>

The Metropolitan Center for Urban Education is a comprehensive center that focuses on educational research, policy, and practice. The Metro Center acts as a partner and resource at the local and national levels in strengthening and improving access, opportunity, and the quality of education in our schools. Our mission is to target issues related to educational equity by providing leadership and support to students, teachers, parents, administrators, and policymakers.

This EBlast is a service of the Metropolitan Center for Urban Education, New York University, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development. 726 Broadway 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003
212.998.5100 (phone) 212.995.4199 (fax)  http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/  Copyright © 2009 Metropolitan Center for Urban Education