[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] NYMHCA Chapter Update: January 10, 2012

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Wed Jan 11 09:16:19 EST 2012

Dear Mental Health Counseling Students,

Below you will find this week's update from the New York City Chapter of the New York Mental Health Counselors Association.  As you know, professional associations offer a variety of resources for professional and students alike and I strongly encourage you to join!  You should also consider joining the American Counseling Association-you can find out more about this organization at www.counseling.org.

NYMHCA Metro<http://members.nymhcametro.org/>
The New York City chapter of the New York Mental Health Counselors Association

If you are having trouble viewing this message, view it online<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum/categories/announcements-1/listForCategory>.

[http://www.nymhcametro.org/images/newsletter/nymhca_newsletter_header.jpg]

Chapter Update: January 10, 2012

In This Update:

  *   Legislation Update
  *   Informational Interview Requests
  *   Upcoming Events
  *   Thank Yous
  *   Survey
  *   Forum

Legislation Update

It looks like NYMHCA is closer than ever to introducing legislation that will add the term "diagnosis" to our scope of practice as well as extend the length of the Limited Permit by one year for a limited time. In two weeks, our lobbyist will be providing specific instructions on how to help push this forward. We will provide more details as we receive them.

Informational Interview Requests

Over the past six months, many of our members have done a great service by agreeing to speak to students who have questions about our profession. We have received great feedback from students and it is a great way to help future professionals. We will continue to inform you all as these requests come in. We received a request last week which you can find here<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum/topics/interview-request-from-mhc-student-alcohol-drug-rehab?xg_source=msg_mes_network>.

Upcoming Events

Our next chapter meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 23. It will the first of two meetings dedicated to CBT. Joe Williams LMHC, will be presenting on Cognitive Therapy on January 23. John Viterito LPC will give a presentation on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy on February 22. You can now RSVP for the January meeting by visiting here<http://members.nymhcametro.org/events/chapter-meeting-topic-cognitive-therapy-date-time-tbd?xg_source=msg_mes_network>.

Speaking of RSVPs... The December meeting was a success and we had more than 50 people attend. More than 20 people did not RSVP and we were unprepared, with many people needing to stand for the entirety of the event. We ask that all members please RSVP. Please continue to invite non-members also, they are welcome to attend two meetings prior to joining the chapter as long as there is space available. We request that non-members contact the chapter and RSVP as well.

Thank Yous

Our organization, our network, and our profession is what we make of it. Members volunteering their time and energy are invaluable to what we do and we are always happy to find new volunteers at NYMHCA Metro.

We want to thank all of the members who helped out last year. Without Tanairy Estevez<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/TanairyEstevez?xg_source=msg_mes_network>,  Aileen Silbert<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/AileenSilbert?xg_source=msg_mes_network>, Jasmine Jusino-McGilchrist<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/JasmineJusinoMcGilchrist?xg_source=msg_mes_network>, and Paulette Jones<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/PauletteJones?xg_source=msg_mes_network> some of our recent events would not have been possible. Thank you to all of you who have responded to requests from students for interviews. Most recently, Melissa Ramirez<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/MelissaRamirez?xg_source=msg_mes_network> has volunteered to coordinate our new mentoring program.

Most of our meetings lately have taken place at NYU so we want to give a special thank you to the university, especially former Chapter President Corinne Weinman<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profile/CorinneMillerWeinman?xg_source=msg_mes_network> who serves as our main POC at the university and makes the arrangements for the meeting space.

If you would like to dedicate some extra time, energy, or ideas to the chapter please let us know. Some things we might need help with are hosting (networking events, peer supervision groups, self-care groups, job search support), social networking (Facebook, Twitter), content creation (adding content to our public site, articles), and we are currently looking for space and speakers for future events.

Survey

We will be sending out a Chapter Survey in February. Last year's survey was very helpful in assessing the needs of our members. Your replies were very influential in the redesign of our website and the selection of events throughout the year. Some of the topics covered in the next survey include mentoring, peer supervision, self-care, and specializations.

Forum

The Forum on members.nymhcametro.org<http://members.nymhcametro.org/?xg_source=msg_mes_network> has many functions and we want to remind you all that it can be very useful. All chapter members have access to it and it can be used for posting announcements and asking questions. It functions as both a bulletin board and a discussion board. Posts have been saved since 2009 so there is a lot of information there. You can use the Search Box on the top right of the site to search through old posts and announcements. So whether you want to post a job announcement, promote a project, or start a discussion the Forum is where to do that.

For those of you that use LinkedIn, we disabled the feature to start discussions on our group in that site because we wanted to keep discussions in one place. And you have access to all members here while not all members have joined LinkedIn.

Some some recent posts in the Forum include:

  *   Interview Request from student<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum/topics/interview-request-from-mhc-student-alcohol-drug-rehab?xg_source=msg_mes_network>
  *   New job postings<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum/categories/job-postings/listForCategory?xg_source=msg_mes_network>
  *   Training announcement from member Dassie Hoffman<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum/topics/voice-dialouge-training-saturday-january-21?xg_source=msg_mes_network>
  *   and More<http://members.nymhcametro.org/forum?xg_source=msg_mes_network>

Home<http://www.nymhcametro.org/> Member Login<http://members.nymhcametro.org/?xg_source=msg_mes_network> Contact Us<mailto:info at nymhcametro.org>       [http://www.nymhcametro.org/images/newsletter/twitter.jpg] <https://twitter.com/#!/NYMHCAmetro> [http://www.nymhcametro.org/images/newsletter/facebook.jpg] <http://www.facebook.com/pages/NY-Mental-Health-Counselors-Association-Metro-Chapter/184165458300086> [http://www.nymhcametro.org/images/newsletter/google.jpg] <https://plus.google.com/117690608209117270785/>

Visit NYMHCA Metro at: http://members.nymhcametro.org/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

To control which emails you receive on NYMHCA Metro, click here<http://members.nymhcametro.org/profiles/profile/emailSettings?xg_source=msg_mes_network>

Raven Maldonado, M.S.