[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] FREE Camp Opportunity

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:36:11 EST 2012

Dear students,

Please see the message below from a former School of Education student regarding Camp Kesem!

Raven Maldonado, M.S.

Dear Family and Friends,

I am actively involved in an organization at Columbia University that I would like to invite you to join me in supporting - Camp Kesem.  Camp Kesem is a volunteer student-run summer camp that serves the special needs of children with a parent who has or has had cancer.

When a parent is diagnosed with cancer, the whole family is affected.  For children, the carefree joys and adventure of childhood are replaced with new responsibilities, anger, guilt and the fear of losing (or loss of) a parent.   There are currently no other camps and few services available to these children in the tri-state area.  I am excited to have the opportunity to help make the first session of Camp Kesem Columbia a magical one for this often overlooked population.

Camp Kesem will be held in New York City and will open its arms to 40 campers.  Camp Kesem is a secular camp serving all children regardless of race, religion, or background.  The 6-13 year olds who attend this week-long camp will have the unique opportunity to develop friendships with peers facing similar challenges, build confidence and gain a support network of over 20 caring, well-trained volunteer counselors…a gift that lasts far beyond their week at camp.

Since our camp is free for participating families, we rely on support from our valued friends and family in order to make camp possible.  We currently need to raise $30,000 by April.

I encourage you to sponsor one or several campers to attend Camp Kesem Columbia.  A full week’s session is just $300 per camper. Or, you can give one camper one magical day of camp with a gift of $60. Of course, any amount you choose to give will be much appreciated. You can send cash or check to the mailing address above or you can donate online using this website:http://www.campkesem.org.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=995612&lis=0&kntae995612=363FC0CEE64E4370B3FA54A51533AB96&supId=350613158

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or would like to discuss other ways you can support Camp Kesem.  Thank you.

Attached: Camper Application and Flyer

Kind regards,

Navila Riaz