[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] Student Advisor Position
Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Mon Nov 21 10:50:37 EST 2011
Please see the posting below.
Raven Maldonado, M.S.
Dept. of Counseling and School Psychology
School of Education
Long Island University
1 University Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu<mailto:Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu>
Program: School Based Program
Location: Bronx Haven High School
Bronx Haven High School is a small, academically rigorous, full-time New York City Department of Education Transfer School designed to re-engage high school students who are over-age and under-credited or have dropped out of high school. East Side House Settlement is directly responsible for the administration of the school’s Learning-to-Work Program, which enhances the school’s academic component by offering additional academic support, career and education exploration, work preparation, skills development, and internships.
Under the supervision of the School Director with latitude for independent judgment, the advisor will be responsible to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and ability required, but are not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities
* Conduct intake interviews with students and family members.
* Meet with students in a group setting and individually to assist them in their academic, career and personal goals.
* Conduct daily attendance outreach and home visits as necessary.
* Facilitate group advisory sessions two times per week.
* Consult with teachers and provide feedback to students on academic performance using a biweekly assessment.
* Maintain student charts and records to ensure milestones are being met.
* Refer students to academic and support services as needed.
* Attend administrative meetings, program trainings and staff development.
* Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities as assigned via East Side House Community Development.
* Maintain flexible hours and work days, some overnight trips required.
* Arrange field trips, special events and extracurricular activities.
* Participate in special yearly student-based projects.
* Some evening and Weekends required
* B.A/ B.S.W. with at least two years experience with youth-related work
* Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, communication, organizational skills.
* Ability to work in a team oriented environment and multi-task.
* Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills.
* Demonstrated knowledge of community service/ development.
* Knowledge and experience in WordPerfect/ Microsoft Word and other applications
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Send Resume and Cover Letter via mail, email or fax to:
Natalie Lozada, Director
East Side House Settlement
337 Alexander Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454
Fax: (718) 402-4219 or Email: nlozada at eastsidehouse.org<mailto:nlozada at eastsidehouse.org>
Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
Visit MyCareerKey – The Office of Career Services’ online job management system
Employers to post: www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/employer<http://www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/employer>
Students to view positions and events: www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/student<http://www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/student>
Alumni to view positions and events: www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/alumni<http://www.liu.edu/brooklyn/mycareerkey/alumni>
More information about the BKN-SCHOOL-OF-EDUCATION-CSP-MHC