[Bkn-school-of-education-csp-mhc] New Comprehensive Exam

Raven Maldonado Raven.Maldonado at liu.edu
Tue Nov 8 10:34:22 EST 2011

Dear Students,

As you may know, the faculty has been working to revise the comprehensive exam so that it more appropriately evaluates student learning in each of our counseling programs.  With that said, below you will find information on the new format for the counseling comprehensive exam, which will be the format used going forward.

The Comprehensive Exam  will still be based on a case study and students will  still hand write their responses.  However, it is going to be different from the old exam in the following ways:

  *   The exam will be worth a total of 35 points (instead of 30).
  *   The exam will have two sections – Phase I is for all of the Counseling program students and they will be asked to choose 5 out of 7 items for a total of 25 points (5 points per question).  Phase II will have questions based on each program (Mental Health, School Counseling, Bilingual School Counseling) – there will be 4 items and the students will be instructed to choose 2 for a total of 10 points (5 points per question).

Again, students are only eligible to take this exam once they've earned at least 30 credits.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Raven Maldonado, M.S.